• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Maybe A Newb (?) - Best Break-In Method?

liquidfluidity

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
2,938
Getting ready to fire up my new i7 920 rig and was wondering what the best break-in method for the cpu is. I've never had a new cpu before and want to do it right! Plan on overclocking a little down the road. I just want to get it rock solid to start with. I've seen a lot of people just hitting the power button and jump into OCing. does break-in really matter. I'm pretty anal about things so maybe I'm just worrying or thinking about it too much. Opinions , methods?
 
Getting ready to fire up my new i7 920 rig and was wondering what the best break-in method for the cpu is. I've never had a new cpu before and want to do it right! Plan on overclocking a little down the road. I just want to get it rock solid to start with. I've seen a lot of people just hitting the power button and jump into OCing. does break-in really matter. I'm pretty anal about things so maybe I'm just worrying or thinking about it too much. Opinions , methods?

No such thing, it's a solid state device, there is nothing to "break in" same thing with just about any computer part, the only thing that might take some "break in" is the thermal paste, but that is no worry as it will set it self with heat and use. So long as you have a good cooler, you can pop it in and start OCing right off the bat.
 
As mentioned, no break-in needed. I just jumped into overclocking mine.
 
The only thing that would need break in time is the TIM (thermal compound). Depending on which kind you have it will require a different amount of time. For example, Shin-Etsu X23 takes a couple days to reach it's maximum performance.
 
Sounds good! Kind of what I thought - just wanted to be sure since it was my first new processor. Used to race motorcycles and that was all we did - build and and ride it like you stole it!
 
Still use AS5 and I knew that the video was about a specific TIM break-in. No harm-no foul ;)
 
Used to race motorcycles and that was all we did - build and and ride it like you stole it!

As long as the rings seat properly, it's all good! I've had rings line up and cause mad blow-by when I've started beating on a fresh engine from initial startup. 250-300 miles on my most recent engine and my rings were seated properly, no blow-by, is smooth as butter to redline, and gets beat on every day!

With pinned 2-stroke rings you certainly don't have to worry about the rings lining up!

As far as electronics go, there used to be a fair bit of talk about break-in procedures, training the transistors and all that. A lot of people dis-credited the practice but some people still swore by it, as far as memory went anyhow.
 
Oc to 3.2

Downloand prime 95 and run blend for 24 hours. If Blend fails (one of the instances fails) try different setting(s) until 24 hour run passes.

Next select the small fft option in P95 torture test. Run that 24/7 for months.
 
Agree with the prime, orthos or the intel burn test. Processors don't really need to be broken in. They don't have pistons sliding through sleeves that are uber tight. What you should be most worried about is if the processor is stable or not. Out of all the processors I've bought, I only had one fail on orthos, and good thing was I could just RMA it to newegg.

Some people will take it as far as overclocking, then running a test to see if its stable, if it isn't they RMA it. I don't believe in this since overclocking is never a given. Intel/AMD chose they're clock frequencies for a specific processor because a higher % of procs made would run at that frequency, rather than a higher one.

Step 1: build computer
Step 2: good thermal paste
Step 3: good cooler

check temps at desktop and make sure they're ~ to what everyone else is getting. If not, reseat the HSF/ TIM.

....
overclock it like you stole it.
 
Back
Top