• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Maybe a motherboard problem

shankle

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
89
Thanks for any advice.
I have a p7-1380t HP. I was playing around with a device to let me dual
boot without dual booting software. Now the computer will not boot up.
I think I fried the motherboard but am not sure.
Here is what happens when I press the power button. The fans start up,
the monitor light is on and the DVD works.. Hitting any F key has no effect.
I know about static electricity but I might have caused it anyway.
What else could it be but the motherboard?
I have never taken a motherboard out of a computer. My procedure would
be to take lots of pictures, Label all wires and places they go. Looks like
7 screws and it would come out. Then what to replace it with?????
OR just go out and buy another desktop?
Looking forward to your comments....
 
I was playing around with a device to let me dual
boot without dual booting software.
and what device is that?


So the monitor light turns on but there's no picture?


I don't know why you tried dual booting in the first place, it seems like using a virtual machine would have worked for whatever you were trying to do.
 
Doesn't sound serious. That device might have screwed up your existing OS install.
 
The device was a pt628 to allow accessing 2 or more HDs using a switch.
Monitor light turns on but NO picture. So I have no way to get to anything.
 
The device was a pt628 to allow accessing 2 or more HDs using a switch.
Monitor light turns on but NO picture. So I have no way to get to anything.

If you're talking about this

SATA PT628 Hard Disk Four-way Switch

Try removing it entirely from your setup and connect only the boot drive, then clear CMOS (unplug power and remove battery for a good 20-30 minutes) then reinstall the battery and power on.
 
Thanks for your help.
I removed the PT628.
I removed the CMOS battery for an hour then plugged it back in.
Lights come on in the front of the computer, the monitor light is on,
I see the dvd player blinking and NOTHING else.
Can't access BIOS.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new battery but I don't have any hope.
 
Back
Top