Maya Gun modeling

hmm... could u post a higher res picture?

Wow that looks nearly identical but it seems as if you made a few touch ups.

The gun took a while to model since its an m14 or m21 modded with a custom body stock. Had to dig up reference images of all the pieces in an m14 and drop that into the new body. Now I'm about to bring it into zbrush and add the higher details like the bumps and surface details. Man creating accessories for characters is hard work without reference on hand. Thanks for the comments guys and gals!

dang that thing is nice. i wish that could be my airsoft gun... as auric said is this supposed to be something used in a game or just for fun?

Just for fun. Well I'm working on a demo reel, so this will be a small piece to a character.

...you *do* realize that unless this character image is going to be massive you dont need his gun to look so perfect, right? simply amazing, though, I have to ask, how long have you been using maya? (I'm trying to get a grip on how long it'll take me before I will be albe to start making things that dont look cartoonish... concensus so far seems to be 5 years...)

(I'm trying to get a grip on how long it'll take me before I will be albe to start making things that dont look cartoonish... concensus so far seems to be 5 years...)

who told you that ?

...you *do* realize that unless this character image is going to be massive you dont need his gun to look so perfect, right? simply amazing, though, I have to ask, how long have you been using maya? (I'm trying to get a grip on how long it'll take me before I will be albe to start making things that dont look cartoonish... concensus so far seems to be 5 years...)

Yea I realize that it doesn't need to be so detailed, but I'm picky since its going into a program that's allows more detail to be added (zbrush) so I need a fairly exact model. As far as the cartoonish goes? It depends on your style. My animator buddies can't seem to get a grip on realism and I can't seem to do anything cartoony. I prefer mocap animation, they prefer stylized.

@ verge: several ppl said it takes around 5years to understand maya and what it can do. most were jsut random ppl on forums, but one was a CGI art director at a college and one was my ex who does computer animation for an advert company

@ redmasc: yeah, I understand the difference in style, but right now my animatics still have cyllenders for arms and boxes for chests/feet and spheres for heads... that's what I meant by cartoony... yeah, if I were making critters like buggs bunnie, I woulnd't be complaining ;) lol. still amazed at the detail you put into that gun though, at first glance I thought it was a photo!

not sure what other touch ups you can do, but thats about as good as a model gets without texturing.

Where did you get your reference gun image at?

Back