May BOINC Project: Leiden Classic

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
Again this month we will be joining together to make a push in one of the BOINC projects. The project on the docket this month is Leiden Classic.

So if you have any spare CPU cores (even older cores still work well in BOINC) just download the BOINC client here and attach to the project. If you have any questions on setting up the client feel free to ask and we'll help you out.

Currently the [H]ard|OCP team is 70th with 235,794 points. Good luck and thanks for contributing!

I don't have any machines moved over yet but I'll start moving them over tomorrow. Also anyone who already has some machines up and going let me know what kind of RAM usage these WUs have. Thanks!

Crunch On!

I'm in!

This project is only using like 8-10% of my cpu. Is this normal?

Update, the project downloaded additional work to take my cpu usage up to 100%. Each one needs about 1.7mb of RAM. I have 12 instances running, one for each of my cores. Nice.

Last edited:
I am gonna be switching over later today, I might also be able to switch over my c2ds because I need to pick up stuff from my house so that should help out.

We are already up to 68th place :). I've had mine going now since yesterday, completes WU's kinda quick just not a lot of points, lol.

Last edited:
Any advise on how to properly switch over to a new project? I switched over two clients only to find out they were no longer setup with team [H] and used my Windows login name (Not CraftyOtter).

I tried reinstalling the client but get the same results. :confused:

Edit: All set. Nevermind. :rolleyes: Somedays I think I should not be allowed near computers, today was one of them.

Last edited:
Welcome Dookey!

CraftyOtter - For the record and any one else might be wondering - when you want to stop running any particular project go to the Project tab click on the correct project and click "No New Units". Then let the remaining WUs from that project finish, then just hit Update. :) Then your all set to attach to a new project.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to set GPU on one project and run the CPU on other projects. Can anyone help me out with that one?

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to set GPU on one project and run the CPU on other projects. Can anyone help me out with that one?

From advanced view, go to the projects tab and click on the projcet you want to edit. I am using collatz conjecture as an example. Click "your account" on the left of the window. You'll be taken to a new window in your browser showing your account settings and some stats. Click on your porjects preferences e.g. for collatz conjecture it says Collatz Conjecture Preferences. click edit your projects preferences. There should be checkboxes to select whether or not you want to use the gpu or cpu. Pick the options to your liking. Hit update preferences and to finish it all off go back to boinc and click update on your project to send that data.

Went home this weekend and switched over my 2 c2ds and my i7 yesterday. Should start seeing the points roll in. I forgot I had such a low score for Leiden Classic. I feel like this was a great project choice for this month. :)

If Razor and tr0ach stay inactive, maybe I can make a run for #1 on the team. :D I have two quads devoted to Leiden now, but I can probably add more if necessary.

That's the spirit Susan, thanks :). We are now at 67th place :).

Went home this weekend and switched over my 2 c2ds and my i7 yesterday. Should start seeing the points roll in. I forgot I had such a low score for Leiden Classic. I feel like this was a great project choice for this month. :)

If Razor and tr0ach stay inactive, maybe I can make a run for #1 on the team. :D I have two quads devoted to Leiden now, but I can probably add more if necessary.

Good to hear guys. I have another 6 cores that I swapped over today to add to the tally. :) Looks like we are off to a good start!

Also Im not sure if this happened to anyone else but just an FYI out there to any new contributors: When I connected my BOINC clients to Leiden Classic it popped up and told me there there may not be work available for my type of system. I connected to the project anyway and got work on all of the machines.

metallicafan, I got the same thing pop up for Leiden Classic. I have had it pop up before and it always has had work for my clients.

Also Im not sure if this happened to anyone else but just an FYI out there to any new contributors: When I connected my BOINC clients to Leiden Classic it popped up and told me there there may not be work available for my type of system. I connected to the project anyway and got work on all of the machines.
Yup same problem here on both machines and both got work just fine and are steadily chugging along nicely :).

Nice, we have moved up to the 61st spot in points already.
Nice job so far team :).

I think this message appears if you're running a 64-bit OS. Some projects don't have 64-bit support, but Leiden works fine.

One of my machines was down for a few hours yesterday, but it's back today and I added a third quad.

I think this message appears if you're running a 64-bit OS. Some projects don't have 64-bit support, but Leiden works fine.

I get the same message yet of all of my BOINC boxen are running 32-bit XP or WIn7.

No shortage of WU's but I'm only running CPU on these projects.

I get the same message yet of all of my BOINC boxen are running 32-bit XP or WIn7.

No shortage of WU's but I'm only running CPU on these projects.

Leiden has no GPU work units. If you have an ATI card I recommend that you put it on Collatz for some serious pointage, also I think cosmology at home has ATI units. If you have a Nvidia GPU there's always GPUgrid, AQUA, and SETI to run the card on.

Oh hell yea, we moved up to 56th :). So has anyone actually set a goal for the team as far as our rank for the end of the month?

Leiden has no GPU work units. If you have an ATI card I recommend that you put it on Collatz for some serious pointage, also I think cosmology at home has ATI units. If you have a Nvidia GPU there's always GPUgrid, AQUA, and SETI to run the card on.
Actually the two main ATI projects are Milkyway@home and Collatz. RC5-72 also has an ATI client. AQUA used to have a CUDA client but they havent used that client in quite some time. GPUGrid and SETI i think have active clients though. If memory serves so does Einstine, RC5-72, Milkyway@home, Collatz, and Primegrid.

Oh hell yea, we moved up to 56th :). So has anyone actually set a goal for the team as far as our rank for the end of the month?

I thinking we dont stop until we hit the Top 25! We are getting some very nice contributions! I think Dookey is making a run for the top spot on the team! He already has a Top 25 computer in the project! :)

EDIT: Oh and for the record - We were 2nd in PPD yesterday in Leiden. :D

Last edited:
Actually the two main ATI projects are Milkyway@home and Collatz. RC5-72 also has an ATI client. AQUA used to have a CUDA client but they havent used that client in quite some time. GPUGrid and SETI i think have active clients though. If memory serves so does Einstine, RC5-72, Milkyway@home, Collatz, and Primegrid.

I thinking we dont stop until we hit the Top 25! We are getting some very nice contributions! I think Dookey is making a run for the top spot on the team! He already has a Top 25 computer in the project! :)

Go Dookey go! Lol. 25th sounds good to me :).

Go team, we can do it :D.

Make that top 20 http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/top_hosts.php?sort_by=expavg_credit&offset=0

;)

You may be poised to be one of the top 5 machines by the end of the month. It takes a litle while to build up RAC but there are lots of quad core machines on that list in front of you. What speed do you have that hexcore CPU running at? :)

Nice job guys! I noticed on Friday we had the top team score in Leiden. :)

I lost an ATi card in my i7 box this afternoon. :( I used the opportunity to blow all the dust out. Looks like its time for an RMA. Single slot coolers FTL.

Just realized my one c2d was blocked by the firewall so I got that running now. Also, booted up two P4s for some extra points. Good job so far DooKey with that 980!

Thanks! This 980 tears thru these WUs like they're wet tissue. I also like how stable the client is crunching. I think I'll keep this machine on BOINC for the long run. I might move my 480s back to fold if Pande Group ever gets a client out, but the GPUGRID guys have a great client for the 480s and I see no need to move them over anytime soon.

Yeah, I love Boinc for how stable it is, I wish I had the money for a 980 but after getting a 920 it is gonna be a while until I can afford a nice new one. I just keep getting older PCs from people such as the P4s.

Just realized my one c2d was blocked by the firewall so I got that running now. Also, booted up two P4s for some extra points. Good job so far DooKey with that 980!

More cores? Thats some good news. :)

Thanks! This 980 tears thru these WUs like they're wet tissue. I also like how stable the client is crunching. I think I'll keep this machine on BOINC for the long run. I might move my 480s back to fold if Pande Group ever gets a client out, but the GPUGRID guys have a great client for the 480s and I see no need to move them over anytime soon.

If Im reading the stats correctly you are running 2x 480s? And it looks like they are doing about 20K PPD each or so? Very nice. I wish I could run some newer graphics cards. I submitted a ticket to Visiontek for my dead 4850. Maybe they will replace it with a 5000 series card. :)

Looks like we are up to 44th. The going gets a little tougher but I still think we can make it to 25th by the end of the month. Nice work everyone!

Heres an team update from BOINCstats, we're lighting up the scoreboard guys!

push.gif

Running Dual Xeon X5550s on this now.

Awesome, thanks Jon! Looks like i will have someone on my threat list very soon. :) And DooKey may have a challenger for on the Top Computers list. :D

^ Thats a good looking graph!

I am liking the look of the graph as well. Is it me or do we seem to be getting lower ppd with Leiden Classic than with QMC as a whole? We are plowing through teams but it seems with less points.

Back