Maxtor Worst hd ever

In my experience with working with PC's, maxtor's are by far the worst drives I've ever owned, I have had to RMA a maxtor three times before (same model) all in the span of 2 1/2 years.

At work, we got a batch of maxtors in, they were the single platter 40GB version, in those we had the worst failure rates compared to western digital/Seagate.

I have had my western digital crap out on me too, so I've learned my lesson and I now only buy Seagate drives. They tend to either fail in 3 months or last a very long time.

Craz said:
In my experience with working with PC's, maxtor's are by far the worst drives I've ever owned, I have had to RMA a maxtor three times before (same model) all in the span of 2 1/2 years.

At work, we got a batch of maxtors in, they were the single platter 40GB version, in those we had the worst failure rates compared to western digital/Seagate.

I have had my western digital crap out on me too, so I've learned my lesson and I now only buy Seagate drives. They tend to either fail in 3 months or last a very long time.

Regardless of actual reliability Seagate is still a good buy if you're going for data security. Just throw two of them in a RAID 1 or a whole bunch in RAID 5 and you're good to go. If one fails just RMA it and rebuild anytime within the three year warranty. It's still a good idea to have a backup while running in degraded mode though. Or if you have the $$ get a spare.

My point is im not saying maxtor is crap once again i have one in my xbox thats been going good for about 2 years now

I am saying this specific type is crap

Ive had 2 die for no reason both had adequate power and adequate cooling

Both times they died the where secondary the primary never failed

sorry i didnt mean for this to become flamebait but i was just expressing that ive had either extremely bad luck or the type just happens to be very bad production quality.

Back