Maxtor HDD Problem

Alex41290

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I made a thread a while back asking about how to recover things from my corrupt hard drive. At this point I've gotten everything really worthwhile off the drive, and now I'm attempting to format. Usually I don't have a problem with formatting, but for some reason Partition Magic isn't liking the drive. Picture included:

problem.JPG

As you can see, the partition shows up as "BAD" and the drive is shown as having no partitions whatsoever. If I attempt to format it, I get this error:

error.JPG

Not sure what else to use other than Partition Magic, as I don't think booting to a DOS prompt will let me format an entire drive.

Any suggestions?

Alex

Seems like something messed the MBR of that drive, my suggestion is to wipe the disk with 0's with DBAN of Autoclave and start fresh, use windows disk management to partition / format the disk. The wipe does not need to be ran fully, just let it wipe like 5% of disk and it should be ok :D

oldmx

Can you delete and recreate the partition instead of just trying to format it? That should be a lot quicker than dealing with DBAN. If PM won't do it, do it with the Disk Management console - start->run->diskmgmt.msc .

unhappy_mage said:
Can you delete and recreate the partition instead of just trying to format it? That should be a lot quicker than dealing with DBAN. If PM won't do it, do it with the Disk Management console - start->run->diskmgmt.msc .

nodelete.JPG

If that answers your question...

I'll check out disk management in a minute, but PM won't allow me to do it.

*sigh* me = noob
iamnoob.JPG

Hint: If I ever post pics, chances are you don't even need to load them and you will know what they are of.

Thanks as well, I totally forgot about Disk Management. Oh well, thanks again.

Glad you got it going. Now go buy a backup device, and start using it. ;)

The funny thing is, that was my "backup" device and it just happened to have problems :eek:.

Hi, Get maxtor powermax 4 from the maxtor.com website and test the drive. Check on the maxtor website if the drve is still in warrenty. If so and powermax tells you the drive is bad you can exchange it for a good drive. Exchanged loads of bad maxtor drives myself from our raid arrays.

Back