Maxtor HDD PCB chip blown- Need Help Replacing PCB

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
My Maxtor HDD was recently not being detected by my promise sata controller. I figured out that the HDD was the problem after I saw a chip on the PCB blown and around the corner it was blown was some yellowish residue. So I know that the platters are perfectly fine and the chip that was blown might have done damage to some of the components around it.

I found the exact replacement PCB here.

As I have stated, the chip that was blown affected some of the surrounding components. Here's a picture of what it affected. I took pictures on my digital camera but I couldn't find the usb cable :rolleyes:

I also want to know what I would be required of doing once I received this new PCB. In other words, would I have to solder it or just connect a cable to it, etc?

This hard drive is very important to me as it contains information that I have stored from the past two years. This data is not important enough though to spend hundreds of dollars sending it to a factory for repairation. Also, this HDD is out of warranty so RMA is out of the question. So because of the previous factors that were listed, I am not hesitating at all to proceed with swapping the PCB.

Thanks in advance.

-Alik4041

PCB replacement is a snap. Unscrew, it pops off, put the new one on, screw in. The contact is made by some pins that stick out of the bottom of the drive itself. Just make sure you have torx screwdriver bits. Some drives may have screws as small as T5. I would have T5,T8, and T10 on hand just in case. You can find 5-10 sets on e-bay for pretty cheap

With my seagate barracuda, I was told that I needed the exact same firmware and P/N number for it to work...don't know if it is the same on all drives...

With my seagate barracuda, I was told that I needed the exact same firmware and P/N number for it to work...don't know if it is the same on all drives...
Ya, I just noticed that the main chip is a different number, ex.) c8-c10 etc. Mine isn't the same. I'm gonna have a hard time finding this thing. The one on the website said for 80gb and mine is 200gb :rolleyes:

I'm gonna be gone for 2months. I'm leaving in 20 minutes :D

Anyways, I thought I'd just post this before I leave. If you guys can give me any input/help, I would greatly appreciate it.

The PCB Model is 301861101

The Controller Chip is Ardent C10-C1

And the firmware is U7FYA

I can't find this PCB!?!? Again, help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. :) I will try to get online while I'm in Europe (but I think the sites will take me in :p)

<3 [H] Peace :cool:

Back