Maxtor crashed my server!!

enforcer17

[H]ard|Gawd
My main file server hard drive just crashed on me and is the 2nd Maxtor Diamond Max 8 to do so in the past 6 months. Both hard drives were only a couple months old too. They were also only single platter 20 and 30 GB drives, but my others are 60GB+ with 2 platters. They are 2 120GB WD1200JBs and a 60GB Maxtor Diamond Max 9s going strong. I also have a Maxtor D740X 60GB in my HTPC that is 2 years old and no problems.

Luckily all i had on the crashed drive was the OS and linux ISOs.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had/heard of trouble with the smaller maxtor drives?

I've had nothing but huge issues with Maxtor at my shop. I actuall had a warranted HP maxtor drive that failed right out of the box when I tried to install Windows on it. Computer after computer comes in with with a dead Maxtor with people screaming and begging for me to get their data off.

Next time, get a Western Digital and your worries are over, iv'e only seen one dead WD drive in my time here and all mine at home are still going.

I know sometimes companies have bad batches of harddrives. I have had maxtor, western digital, seagate and fujitsu all fail on me so the way I look at it is that no matter what brand it is they will all fail at sometime. Just got to watch them and do frequent backups.

Every compnay has bad batches and bad models... (75GXP anyone?) But I'd have to agree with previous posters, Maxtor's have a much lower higher failure rate then all the others. Wether they are OEM maxtor or retail drives, I replace more maxtor's than all the rest put together. Although lately, Seagate's been grabbing a closer second... :mad: I used to reccomend Seagate, Not any more :rolleyes:

I had 6 maxtor drives here. 3 of which died with the same problems.

I have NO trust for them. Actually, the only drives I really trust anymore are WD.

Originally posted by Nate7311
Every compnay has bad batches and bad models... (75GXP anyone?) But I'd have to agree with previous posters, Maxtor's have a much lower higher failure rate then all the others. Wether they are OEM maxtor or retail drives, I replace more maxtor's than all the rest put together. Although lately, Seagate's been grabbing a closer second... :mad: I used to reccomend Seagate, Not any more :rolleyes:

IBM wasn't just making a "bad batch". They were just making shit. The 60GXP was cack. I donno about the last GXP series... 120GXP or something?

Sorry, I can't help but be fueled by my bad experiences with 3 75GXP's and 4 60GXP's all going bad.

I have had nothing but problems with WD. Maxtors have been good to us. It just luck of the draw with HDs =\

Props for WD stuff.

Fujitsu SCSI drives seem to be pretty good too. A lot of our servers came with them, and they've been running solid for a couple years, hammered every day with heavy database I/O with no problems.

I have to agree with Oakfan.

I have NEVER had a Maxtor fail, whereas a co-worker of mine had two, YES TWO Western Digital 200 JB 200 gig drives fail on him in a very short amount of time.

I notice you Maxtor-haters tend to be on the East coast, where as Me and Oakfan are on the West coast. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Originally posted by Nybbles

I have NEVER had a Maxtor fail, whereas a co-worker of mine had two, YES TWO Western Digital 200 JB 200 gig drives fail on him in a very short amount of time.

I notice you Maxtor-haters tend to be on the East coast, where as Me and Oakfan are on the West coast. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
West Coast here :)

I just hate ATA units, end of story. If they were built better maybe I'd like them more. As it stands I do not trust Maxtor above all else, I trust WD a bit more, but they're called Western Disaster for a reason. IBM people like to bitch about, but I've had the best success with them over the years, including the 75s and 60s, which have been fine for years of continuous ops. Strangely, I've not worked with Seagate ATA units, just their SCSI models.

EDIT: Oh yeah, given that this is a fileserver, where's your redundancy? Kind of an `uh duh` moment, but if uptime is valuable...

Originally posted by Nybbles

How about Maxtors out of about 2000 Compaq's/HP's/IBM's/Gateway's/Dell's?

And, oh yeah... Midwest, right in the heart of Illinois, dog! :D

Although, I have gone thru 2 WD200JB's at home too... :rolleyes:

where is texas central? lol

WD fan all the way, had one maxtor go out on me,
i owned, 40,80,100,200gb all WD and still going

but my friend just loves maxtor since the golden days of the

the WD do make quite a bit of noise, but soon be ordering the WD drives with the FDB bearings

-paulm

Bah. I have just one word for you all..Micropolis.

Suddenly even the 75GXP sounds good, huh? :D

Its a shame all the big manufacturers reduced there warranty’s to 1 year. The only company with a 3 year warranty on all there drives is Samsung, i don’t know if that means something. But it’s enough of a reason for me to buys Samsungs in the future.

Not to sound like a fanboi but
I have had excelent luck with both
Seagate & WD.

The only WD Drive that I have had
go to the shitter on me was an old
4ish Gig WD that was run 24/7 with
very high usage after like 6 years.

I have had plenty of borked Maxtor though.

I've had great luck with Maxtor. I've never had a single Maxtor drive die...I have several 13/20/30/40G drives in machines without issues.

WDs...That's a different story. The later drives, particularly the JBs, seem to be pretty nice. However, I've never owned a WD102BA (10G) that hasn't been died and RMAed at least once...I think I've personally RMAed fifteen or so of the drives over their lifetime to WD between my home machines and work machines. One WD102BA got replaced three times by WD and then died two days outside the end-warranty date! I trust WD a lot more than I used to, plus you can't beat the price/performance of their ATA drives, but I'm still wary to trust a single WD to carry important data.

I've never had any real problems with Seagate, however I haven't used very many.

Honestly, I've never had problems with IBM/Hitachi drives. However, I never owned any 60GXPs or 75GXPs. :) IBM/Hitachi Ultrastars are unflappable, though.

If your file server is going to be I/O-bottlenecked, SCSI is what you want. If it's going to be mission-critical and you have to have hot-swap support, SCSI is what you want. However, most home (and even probably the majority of small business) file servers can get by with decent, RAIDed IDE. I've been very happy with the performance I've got from 3Ware cards and WD JB drives in RAID1. Taking a machine down for a few minutes to swap a drive out when one fails is a lot less disruptive than rebuilding a machine when you lose your OS drive.

Originally posted by PopeKevinI
Bah. I have just one word for you all..Micropolis.

Suddenly even the 75GXP sounds good, huh? :D

ROFL. Preach on Pope! Can I get an Amen? ;)

The main hard drives I see fail are the WD 80gb 7200rpm drives, commonly used in HP computers, and the Maxtor 120gb 5400rpm drives used in HP and eMachines.

Naturally you have the stupid Dell implanted Deathstars too...

Also, the Seagates with the rubber wrap (we call them rubbergates) are horrid for reliability.

I had my 10gb WD drive die years ago, froze it for 3 days and has been working strong ever since...heh.

My storage 120gb Seagate that I got from work because it was 'dying' is dying again so that will be my first ever personal Seagate casuality. Hopefully my 80gb Barracuda V SATA doesn't die, thats the OS drive :p

I've got a Terrabytes worth of Maxtors in this computer alone, and have done for the last year- some of the drives are nearly 3 years old now but I've never EVER had any problems with them.

Back