Maxtor Atlas?

I have one of those I keep windows 98 on it for a backup OS. (I have lost 3 Cheetah 15k.2 drives in the last year). It isn't as fast as the newer 15k drives. But the access times are still better than a IDE based drive.

A LSI U160 card would work good with it.

www.hypermicro.com has the best prices on SCSI parts.

This is the old Quantum Atlas 10K II... Good little drives they were. They do the job alright, but don't have as high as transfer rate as the later 10K IIIs and 10K IVs. Hey, but who cares when you can score them at such killer price!! :cool:

It would work all right. Just remember the small size of it.

Now one issue I forgot to mention. That drive is kind of noisey on head seeks. Do not put that into a Enlite case. You will not like the sound of it. A heavey case will soak up a lot of the noise.

Also make sure you have fans blowing across any SCSI drives. They run hotter than a IDE drive does.

You'd be much haapier with one of these.
Twice the size, much faster and runs slightly cooler.
i've had 6 of them so far.

And a pretty cheap single channel controller
Just need a terminated cable and you're set.

I would take a chance. It is a faster version and it is twice the size of the Atlas 2 your looking.

As far as the 90 day warrenty I wouldn't worry to much. Just do a verify on the drive threw the SCSI properities section. If it passes the first time. I will most likely last you quite a while.

I don't need it for four scsi devices lol...I'd be happy with a dual cable even though I only need a single.

Originally posted by 99rollaguy
I don't need it for four scsi devices

yeah, we all say that.. but you pick up one drive, then another, then another, then you end up with 4 x 9Gb scsi drives just laying around because you have nothing better to do with them. Then you give them away as christmas presents.. (no lie, i have..)

In seriousness though, finding cheap scsi cables is kinda hard.
You got some here and another one that seems *too* cheap here

Like ambit stated. Get a cable with as many plugs as your case will hold in HDD's. It might save you from buying a different cable later.

Been there and done that myself.

I just let the extra cable lay in the bottom of the case. I have three SCSI drives in my rig right now. I have 3 extra plugs on my cable to handle future needs.

I can install up to 11 HDD's in my case. It is a small server case.

Back