• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Maxtor 300gb SATA drive (16mb) problems ...

Bepunk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
364
So the drive was working fine ... 13gb MP3s, movies, games, etc. Then, I had to move my computer from Austin to Dallas for the Summer. In doing so, I had to push the HDD securely into the mounting rails in a Sonata.

Now that its all setup again, the HDD is showing up on Samurize as "Disconnected". Attempting to browse it via Explorer results in a looong pause and (Not Responding). I left the computer processing while I ate dinner tonight and returned to see "Drive G: is not formatted, would you like to format?". WTF!

I thought it might be the SATA cable with a crimp in it from moving, so I switched cables. No luck. What else could it be?! When I put my hand on the drive, it is noticably warm and spinning, and there is an occassional bump or series of more defined jolts. No noise associated with those bumps though.

My HDD activity light is solid without anything running. Could a virus be causing all of this? I seriously doubt I have a virus, as it didn't do this before I left.

Any help is appreciated.
 
That situation, particularly the 'jolts' you describe, is bad, very bad. Run manufacturer diagnostics on the drive, it will probably tell you what I already guess - It's toast. From what you tell me, I'd guess one of the mechanical parts of the drive was knocked out of place, or even just slightly out of calibration. You may want to look at the SMART info for the drive if possible.
 
Which diagnostic and how do I check SMART? By the way, I checked my warrenty at Maxtor's website, and it's good until 7/2007 ... so I can RMA! At least that is good news.
 
Clicky <There's your menu for Maxtor diagnostics. You've got an ATA drive - pick up either the stand alone app or bootable ISO image.
 
I'm pretty sure the RMA would cover this. The loss of data and trust in my Maxtor is a real downer though.
 
Back
Top