• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Maximus VII Hero OC question

keithallenlaw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
238
Greetings.

I have a question about the Hero OC. I just purchased the new Hero,
the 4970K, 32gigs of GSkill ram, and the Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

I'm of a coarse doing a bench test before I install into my case.
So far things look good. All 32 gigs are posting. I don't have the
SSD connected yet. I'm just using the supplied CPU fan for bench
purpose but it will be wet when I'm done.

Okay, here's the problem/question. I just tried to do a small OC
and it wont accept it. Tried many of the bios options, manual and
some auto options. Nothing.

I'll have some time tonight to plug in a drive to see if this changes
anything, but I don't see how not having a drive effects OC'ing.

Maybe its the stock cpu cooler? The cpu bench idles at 42c.
Mobo @ 36c and the mosfets are @45c.

Update the bios? I'm using the 0904 bios that came with the
chipset. I did notice there are 2 newer updates. Try this?

Thanks for you time, and suggestions are much appreciated.
 
I would try starting your overclocking with only one stick of ram. It may seem farfetched, but 32GB on a desktop can make for some unusual results.
 
I have my own overclocking challenges on the Z97 chipset but I haven't had a chance to check into them further. Need to modify my case and have components out of it currently.

However quick question, are you overclocking using only the multiplier or are you overclocking using Bclk and multiplier? You may want to leave Bclk alone and try using only the multiplier. Also once you set your overclock up see if when you run a stress test or application if your overclock is throttling. e.g. My overclock starts at 4.8 Ghz, then once I stress the CPU it bounces around to 3.6, 3.2, 4.1, etc... etc..

That's currently the problem I have and I have my own thread about it. Some good suggestions there that I haven't tried yet though. If your throttling post back about that please. It seems to be a thing on Asus motherboards with Z97 chipsets. I have an Asus Z97 motherboard, my younger brother has your exact same motherboard and had the problem but forgot how he fixed it.
 
Greetings. Yes, I know to leave the BCLK alone and to only OC with the cpu multiplier.
But thanks.

Stress test you say? As of now I'm just benching and I have no OS or Hd'S installed.
Not sure why that would make a difference because I can run lower multiplier #'s,
and even change the cpu volts. The multiplier stops at the 4790k's stock x40.
Strange I tell you. Not sure to RMA the board or cpu at this point. ASUS IS
NO HELP WHAT SO EVER.

Thanks for your help.

I have my own overclocking challenges on the Z97 chipset but I haven't had a chance to check into them further. Need to modify my case and have components out of it currently.

However quick question, are you overclocking using only the multiplier or are you overclocking using Bclk and multiplier? You may want to leave Bclk alone and try using only the multiplier. Also once you set your overclock up see if when you run a stress test or application if your overclock is throttling. e.g. My overclock starts at 4.8 Ghz, then once I stress the CPU it bounces around to 3.6, 3.2, 4.1, etc... etc..

That's currently the problem I have and I have my own thread about it. Some good suggestions there that I haven't tried yet though. If your throttling post back about that please. It seems to be a thing on Asus motherboards with Z97 chipsets. I have an Asus Z97 motherboard, my younger brother has your exact same motherboard and had the problem but forgot how he fixed it.
 
Okay, apparently the cpu multiplier is the only setting that wont show in the bios anywhere.
An OS must be installed to see this number. When I get home later I'll go ahead and install
everything and consider it a go. Thanks.
 
Back
Top