Maximus VI Formula...is this normal???

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi people of [H],

I have a quick question for you all.

When making UEFI changes on my Asus Maximus VI Formula, sometimes when I "Save & Exit" the system will seemingly reboot but then shut down completely. Sometimes it may repeat this cycle more than once but it always then starts up normally with the changes retained.

I didn't think anything of it until it just happened during a normal boot (albeit with the mains power being off for the day prior).

Is this normal? My system seems perfectly stable otherwise (barring OC related issues)...

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on this...

TIA,

sf.

Yeah thats what happens to me too. If I make any kind of change that involves OCing, my system shuts off after clicking Save & Exit, then turns back on a few seconds later.

Often on any of my intel based motherboards, after a change is made in the BIOS, the machine will restart.

I have a Maximus VI Formula and that behavior is common.

It does NOT do it more than once however.....ie, change setting>save and exit> shutdown and restart.

Same thing happens with my RIVBE and MVIE, its pretty normal with the Asus boards IMO.

Thanks chaps.

I too thought it was normal (despite this being my first Asus board) but for some reason it did it today from a cold start which got my attention.

Not sure why and the machine is running fine. I will keep an eye on it for now.

Thanks again though, I appreciate the input.

Yeah, it's "normal". The board is training voltages, and it will have to do it if it completely shuts down and has no reserve power (main power was off day before you said).

I don't really like this "feature" but I imagine it is a necessary evil. In particular, it completely conflicts with the ErP function, which will save reserve power but cutting off the mains any time the board shuts down. If you use ErP I'm pretty sure your board will retrain (double-boot) every single time you shutdown. My M6 Heros (both of them...) were triple booting until a pretty late bios revision, no clue why.

Ah thanks for asking this, OP. It has actually happened a few times with my MB too and I assumed it was normal but was always curious.

Back