Maximum connections

SKYflyer

n00b
Is there a maximum number of connections that can be made? If so, what is it determined by? ISP, cable modem, router, network card, operating system, or what?

I ask this because it seems that I have to limit the number of connections that my bit torrent client (Azureus) can make, in order to be able to browse the web while I am downloading torrents. Currently, the number of connections is limited to 30, and this allows me to browse the internet at normal speeds, whereas if the number of connections were higher, browsing the web would become very slow. I should note that web browsing becomes slow for all of the computers on our network, not just the one running Azureus.

30 connections seems a low number, as I have read of other people on the internet who have the max connections set at a much higher number. Why is the number that works for me so low? any ideas?

Thanks

With BitTorrent, it all depends on your internet, if you do not expect to use the internet, than let BT use as many connections as it wants. However if you are still expecting to browse the internet you have to limit it because BT will use all the available bandwidth it can which means nothing else is able to get through because it will eventually timeout.

Many things can affect it... with your pipe and your router being the major ones.

It is most likely your router, as many consumer routers can't take a lot of connections.

does that mean that if i were to get rid of my router and connect directly to my cable modem, i would be able to have more connections without lagging my internet browsing? Surely if I did this, something else would limit my maximum connections instead of my router, and what would it be?

How many connections can the average consumer router handle? Are these statistics listed anywhere?

does that mean that if i were to get rid of my router and connect directly to my cable modem, i would be able to have more connections without lagging my internet browsing?

Yes if your router is the bottleneck.

Surely if I did this, something else would limit my maximum connections instead of my router, and what would it be?

Your internet connection.

How many connections can the average consumer router handle? Are these statistics listed anywhere?

Depends on which router. Set your upload limit to 80%.

SOHO routers aren't that great (but not terrible) with torrents. A Linux distro firewall would do much better ;)

The other problem is the event ID 4226 problem. You should google it for more information. It makes a world of a difference even if you have a router than can handle all those connections.

Back