Maximizing filesharing apps on 100mbps server

Soldier101

Gawd
I have a few servers running windows 2k3 standard on 100 mbps lines....I run limewire and kazaa on them to share some PERSONAL music and movies......I feel that win2k3 standard may be limiting or slowing down the upload capabilities or number of connections these programs are getting. Anyone able to help me setup these servers for mass uploading? There is no reason why these things shouldnt be uploading at over 100k but the most i see is around 50...

your network is probably that fast, but your limited on the bandwidth going out onto the internet from your service provider.

Also... most of these services work better with proper ports forwarded to the box (given your not directly connected to the net), so you may want to look into that as well. But if your getting 50kbs out, you're probably just fine.

machines are directly plugged onto a line, no routers or anything in between...these are colocated servers

Soldier101 said:
machines are directly plugged onto a line, no routers or anything in between...these are colocated servers

If they are colocated servers, what does your service plan limit your download and upload speed to? It does not matter what your "connected" rate says when your colocated host may be limiting what your upload and download rates are.

I know even on my connection, I cant seem to do over 60KBps, and I have ~2-3Mb of throughput. Where are you measuring the throughput, at the server or on your PC at home? The P2P sharing is awfull for throughput, but thats not near enough to explain what your seeing :(.

Soldier101 said:
I pay for full 100 mbps up and down

Server 2003 isn't likely to be your problem.

What are the specs on the server? How are your determining your speeds? Have you tried alternate methods of sharing files to establish a baseline such as FTP?

Soldier101 said:
I pay for full 100 mbps up and down

What are your actual benchmarked speed? A dedicated full 100 up/down..uhm...that's pretty darned expensive...you'll have a comma in that monthly price tag. Occasional bursting is often allowed...but if you're on the ISPs radar screen often...you'll be capped. Many co-lo's...you're capped at a managed switch..2 or 4 or so megs.

Does the ISP know you're running P2P? I'm only asking because, if he also provided managed bandwidth for business clients..he might have packet shaping going on..limiting P2P.

I run adult based websites, I have several severs dedicated for me, no packet shaping or limiting going on the server end, and the servers upload to each other directly *mirroring the files) at substantially hi speeds (9000 files in 25 minutes) all about 3 megs+ each

The easiest way to maximize bandwidth use is to maximize the number of downloads. Try running uTorrent with 20 torrents and no limits and see what happens after 20 minutes.

I have 4 servers all on 100mbit lines and they normally dont max out unless some one is taking data off from 1 server to another.

If a user at home is downloading from you server, then they are limited by the connection their ISP has given them.

Its not Windows that is causing the problem. Its either you "customer" or you datacenter has limited your connection.

Back