• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Max volts for Q9550

shilent

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
160
Back when I first got my Q9550, I've read a lot about CPU degradation and everyone saying don't go over 1.37Vcore and 1.34VTT or somewhere around there. Now I'm reading that over 1.4V is okay for both Vcore and VTT for 24/7 use? Which is true?

I wanna run my Q9550 at 4GHz, but it needs some pretty high volts to run stable at that speed. For example, 3.8GHz needs only 1.27Vcore and 1.1VTT. 4GHz needs 1.38Vcore and 1.3VTT.

CPU is water cooled so heat is not an issue.
 
My Q9650 takes 1.4v with LLC enabled to be stable at 4.4Ghz. I've been running it like that for over a year now. Just be prepared for some serious extra heat output as you crank up the voltage. With my Tuniq Tower 120 and a 120mm 150CFM Delta fan inside at full blast, I will hit 90C+ in burntest. Thankfully it never gets anywhere near that in games.
 
Wow 1 year 24/7 on air and no degradation? Time to crank mines up!

BTW what's your VTT?
 
I don't know what kind of beating it's taking but mine has to run 1.575 to maintain the OC in my sig. I've recently had to go back to factory defaults due to 35C temps in my room the last few days. It's been running at that (Or 3.8Ghz @ 1.5.) for a several months before that. It will pass P95 as long as the ambient temps are not ridiculous. I've not had any issues with games I can tie to the OC and it seems to settle on 60ishC, again with decent ambient temps.
 
Yikes 1.575V? And I thought mines needed a lot of volts. What's your VTT/FSB term voltage at?
 
The maximum safe voltage is 1.4V. Anything above that and you risk causing permanent damage to the CPU.
 
Auto. I haven't played with them on this board because my last one would throw a fit if I touched that stuff. When it's cooler here or I get my WCing setup I will play around more with my OC again. I'm currently running 333x6 and it's idling at 50C. I hate heat waves.....and living in an attic.
 
Well it is nice and cool here in the mornings so I decided to play around a bit.

I'm running P95 right now at 4Ghz, but I had to bump both vcore and VTT to 1.6. The fact it has BSOD'd yet is a good sign. It was BSODing almost immediately before. It's on the 4th 1024k test ATM.

I'm pretty happy it's running at 4Ghz, though not so with the high voltages. CPU-Z reads 1.520 for vcore.


Damn, one of the cores just failed at the 4th pass, but it didn't BSOD like earlier! The rest are in the 7th pass.

I think I'll wait til my WCing stuff gets here to continue playing.
 
Back when I first got my Q9550, I've read a lot about CPU degradation and everyone saying don't go over 1.37Vcore and 1.34VTT or somewhere around there. Now I'm reading that over 1.4V is okay for both Vcore and VTT for 24/7 use? Which is true?

I wanna run my Q9550 at 4GHz, but it needs some pretty high volts to run stable at that speed. For example, 3.8GHz needs only 1.27Vcore and 1.1VTT. 4GHz needs 1.38Vcore and 1.3VTT.


No one here has any good information about what a "safe" voltage is or where degradation starts occurring apart from their own very limited sample size or what Intel has stated. I believe it is operational limits of up to 1.3625V and a maximum of 1.45V

If it bothers you, why not just stick to 3.8GHz? Looks like you can get that at a nice voltage
 
No one here has any good information about what a "safe" voltage is or where degradation starts occurring apart from their own very limited sample size or what Intel has stated.

You'll also notice a lack of people chiming in with "Yeah I had my chip set to XX volts and it killed it" from which we can surmise that the chips can take a pretty good beating. Or maybe you consider all of [H] to be a "limited sample size"?
 
Just about the same here, will do 3.8GHz with a 1.3vcore, going any further seems to take a good bump in voltage.
 
You'll also notice a lack of people chiming in with "Yeah I had my chip set to XX volts and it killed it" from which we can surmise that the chips can take a pretty good beating. Or maybe you consider all of [H] to be a "limited sample size"?


All of [H] is a large number but that isn't what I nor what the OP was talking about. I'm talking about the quality of the information and the OP was asking about cpu degradation. The feedback you will get here is NOTHING compared to what kind of tests Intel has run. They published their opinion on it and do you think anyone here with a couple of years of overclocking experience has better info?
 
I've had around 25-30 775 wolfdale/yorkfields and never killed a single one staying below 1.45vcore and VTT.

That said, for peace of mind I'd try to stay 1.4ish or below for 24/7 use.
 
Back
Top