• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Max Vcore Overclocking question

static21

Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
524
I have a q9550, intel says the max vcore is 3.625 i believe.
Is this under load? or Idle? does it make a difference?
I have set my vcore in the bios on my ga-ep45-ds3r mb to 1.48, idle in windows it shows 1.42, and load under prime95 it drops to 1.34 at 450fsb
I'm idling at 38/38/36/36 according to CPUID hardware monitor. Load goes up to 67/64/64/64
prime95 is not quite stable yet, and I wanted to go higher. I am hoping that 1.3625 at load is OK.
 
people have differing opinions on this, but I would suggest enabling Load Line Calibration. your vcore voltage will stay the same whether idle or load in CPUz. it usually allows for a lower BIOS vcore while maintaining the same OC speed.

1.3625 is Intel's max spec for vcore. it is for any type of CPU load. you can push it higher (many do), but be willing to accept the potential consequences of pushing the voltage too hard. just because the temps look fine doesn't mean you won't potentially kill your CPU.

since you seem to be concerned about what Intel considers to be safe core voltages, keep in mind that Vtt (FSB voltage) and PLL voltage are also important and can potentially damage the CPU. I'm not familiar with Q9550 overclocking, but you'll find on Intel's website a PDF of what they consider to be in-spec voltages and absolute max/min voltages.
 
Hm, thanks for the info, but I dont seem to have Load Line Calibration in my bios... unless I missed it.
 
I think you should be relatively safe up to 1.45volts with these 45nm processors but you should keep it down if you can. Supposedly 1.4 is the max you should do.

Your motherboard is vdrooping. You might want to fix that.

I run my E5200 @ 4ghz. Idle 1.43 load 1.44
 
I was looking into something I found called vdrop pencil mod... Does this reduce the life of the motherboard if done though?
 
I have the same board. It does suffer from a rather large vdrop. I'm currently 3.83 Ghz (451 FSB) @ 1.30. Under load my vcore drops to 1.168 - 1.184. I bet we could easily get 4.2 with a better board.

As for the max vcore, I heard it's best to stay under 1.40. You can go higher so long as you can keep your temps under control.
 
You must have gotten a better proc then me. Mines not stable until 1.36vcore under load @450 fsb
 
I just set it to 5-5-5-15 and 2t command rate, everything else is auto... You have the same proc/mb/psu as me, what settings did you go with?
 
I have to look when I get home. It won't help you though, you have a different brand & spec than me. Memset is a good program that can help you fine tune your ram settings.
 
I have the same board. It does suffer from a rather large vdrop. I'm currently 3.83 Ghz (451 FSB) @ 1.30. Under load my vcore drops to 1.168 - 1.184. I bet we could easily get 4.2 with a better board.

VDrop and VDroop are two different things.
VDrop = the difference from the BIOS selected voltage to the actual voltage while in your particular OS
VDroop = the drop in voltage that occurs when you load the processor

VDrop is not so bad, you just need to know the offset that you encounter, and you can adjust for it... In my opinion, a VDROP mod is not needed unless you are using extreme cooling, and looking for higher operating voltages while in windows.

VDroop, on the other hand, is tougher to deal with, and any mod for it would be a good idea... if its proven effective. It should not decrease the life of any of your components further than what they've already been decreased, by running out of spec.

Intel's guidelines are just that... guidelines. If you want to stick to them and not decrease the 20 year life span of your chip by a year or two... then feel free. But honestly... who do you know that is going to be running anything older than a 10 year old processor even??? That roughly equates to running a Pentium 3 now....
Your biggest enemy is heat, keep your temps down, and everything will be just fine.
 
VDrop and VDroop are two different things.
VDrop = the difference from the BIOS selected voltage to the actual voltage while in your particular OS
VDroop = the drop in voltage that occurs when you load the processor

VDrop is not so bad, you just need to know the offset that you encounter, and you can adjust for it... In my opinion, a VDROP mod is not needed unless you are using extreme cooling, and looking for higher operating voltages while in windows.

VDroop, on the other hand, is tougher to deal with, and any mod for it would be a good idea... if its proven effective. It should not decrease the life of any of your components further than what they've already been decreased, by running out of spec.

Intel's guidelines are just that... guidelines. If you want to stick to them and not decrease the 20 year life span of your chip by a year or two... then feel free. But honestly... who do you know that is going to be running anything older than a 10 year old processor even??? That roughly equates to running a Pentium 3 now....
Your biggest enemy is heat, keep your temps down, and everything will be just fine.

Thanks for clearing that up. Good info.
 
The rest of your settings could be of some help though

As promised.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster .............. Fast
CPU Clock Ratio ...................... 8
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.................. .5
CPU Frequency ........................ 3830

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control................ Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............. 451Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .......... 100
C.I.A.2 .............................. Disabled

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive....................... 800
PCI Express Clock Drive............... 900
CPU Clock Skew (ps)................... <<<
MCH Clock Skew (ps)................... <<<

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance................... STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)....... Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch................ Auto
System Memory Multiplier ............. 2.00D
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ............... 872
DRAM Timing Selectable ............... Manual
Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time....................... 5
tRCD .................................. 5
tRP'................................... 5
tRAS................................... 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD................................... 4
tWTR................................... 4
tWR.................................... 8
tRFC................................... 68
tRTP................................... 4
Command Rate (CMD) .................... 2
Driving Strength Profiles
Driving Strength ...................... 1066
Channel A
Static tRead Value..................... 9
tRD Phase0 Adjustment................. Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................ Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment................. Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... Auto ps
Channel B
Static tRead Value..................... 9
tRD Phase0 Adjustment................. Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................ Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment................. Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... Auto ps
Motherboard Voltage Control
CPU Vcore….………......................... 1.300v
CPU Termination…....................... 1.300v
CPU PLL ............................... 1.500v
CPU Reference ......................... 0.785v
MCH Core .............................. 1.260v
MCH Reference ......................... 0.785v
MCH/DRAM Ref........................... 0.960v
ICH I/O ............................... 1.500v
DRAM
DRAM Voltage .......................... 2.100v
DRAM Termination ...................... 1.050v
Channel A Reference ................... 0.900v
Channel B Reference ................... 0.900v
Advanced Settings
Limit CPUID Max. to 3.................. Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect.............. Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................ Disabled
C2/C2E State Support................... Disabled
x C4/C4E State Support................. Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ............ Enabled
CPU EIST Function...................... Disabled
Virtualization Technology.............. Disabled Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect ............. Disabled *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
​
 
Back
Top