• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Max i5 750 OC?

~GigahurtZ

Weaksauce
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
100
Do you guys think it's possible to git 4.0Ghz on stock cooling with my i5-750, or is this wishful thinking? Right now I'm at 3.36Ghz, with load temps at about 74 and idle at high 50s. Should I push it further?
 
Possible? Sure, but its really just not worth it for a variety of reasons. Just buy an aftermarket cooler.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, what's your Vcore and is it set to auto or not?
 
I've seen the i5-750 get super hot at just stock speeds, so I would limit your overclock until you get a good aftermarket cooler if I were you.

I picked one of i5-750s up recently, and it does overclock like a beast, but aftermarket cooling is an absolute necessity.
 
I'll either be getting a Corsair H50, or adding another loop to my water cooling setup when it arrives. My vcore is on auto at the moment. I think I can last a few days without tweaking then. If I can get it to 3.36Ghz on stock cooling, I expect a nice boost on water.
 
Dude, I would chill out with that chip until you get some better cooling.

And yes, it OC's like a whore. I have mine at 3.88 with a $20 cooler.

And set your own voltages, mobo's always overshoot.
 
I have heard excellent things about the Corsair H50, I'm thinking about picking one up for myself soon.

I have my i5-750 sitting at 3.6ghz right now, and it's barely breaking a sweat. I've had it windows stable on air at 4.1ghz but heat was an issue so I pushed it down a bit. I second the idea of changing the voltages from auto, all that was need for my 3.6 was just 1.21v I think.
 
I'm using cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and never go above ~70 - 72 degrees during all benchmarks except LinX. (3.91GHz, 1.245v)
 
Hold out for the cooler. Cogage True Spirit is great. And as mentioned I would set it back to stock until you do or set the vc manually because the auto on your mobo will be baking that thing.
 
I can't comment on what mine could do with the stock cooler because I built it initially with a Megahalem.
 
I run folding@home soo my stuff runs 100% 24/7 with the stock cooler i could run 3.2 but in the high 80's C. i have both the thermalright true rev C and the corsair h50 they run about neck and neck. high 70's with 100% load @4.0 so says realtemp. if your just gaming you will run much cooler.
 
Back
Top