Max filesize on NTFS?

plur

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 3, 2001
Messages
1,397
I heard there was a rumour that it's 2GB. In fact, all my ghost images are truncated @ 2GB.

Google says there is no limit on NTFS and a file can consume the entire volume...?
 
FWIW, I have several large video files in the range of 10+ GB each on my NTFS drives with no problems.
 
The workstation and server versiona are different here.

For Win2kpro, I'm pretty sure you are limited to 2gb files. For XP, you are limited to 2gb files unless you make your disks dynamic. With dynamic disks anything goes.
 
Originally posted by ItsTooHot
The workstation and server versiona are different here.

For Win2kpro, I'm pretty sure you are limited to 2gb files. For XP, you are limited to 2gb files unless you make your disks dynamic. With dynamic disks anything goes.

I'm not sure where you got you info... One of the advantages of NTS over fat32 is support for files larger than 4 gigs.

-dB
 
Originally posted by afirawker
Is 16 exabytes -1kb the biggest a file can be on NTFS?? Damn:(
In theory, but in practice it is less than that. Only 16 terabytes minus 64 KB.
 
Back
Top