mATX Board for 9900k

Hey all,

Been out of the game for many years, and hopping into a new build.

I'm looking at building an mATX machine that is used primarily for video production as well as gaming.

The current parts that I plan on using are:

i9 9900k
Corsair h115i pro platinum
32gb ram
750w EVGA G2 PSU

Corsair 280x mATX case

I am having a hard time figuring out which mATX board will be best to use on this machine. Because I'm mostly focused on productivity, I don't think I will OC extremely high.

Most important to me are:

4 RAM slots (will expand to 64gb ram in the future)
Proper cooling

I know the Asrock ITX board is getting a lot of rave for being the best, but the limitation of iTX (2 ram slots) are not going to work for me since this is a productivity focused build that I will use for gaming as well.

Seems the only options right now are the Gigabyte Z390m or the MSI Z390 edge, and not seeing a lot of info on those boards running the 9900k.

Can anyone help me out or chime in with their experience?

Cheers,

The mATX market is... thin.

You just gain very little, usually, over ITX, while saving very little over ATX.

If you need four RAM slots, and you're talking about video production at any serious level, then ATX should probably be up for consideration- and so should Threadripper.

But beyond that, the MSI board looks okay. Since you don't plan to overclock, the board isn't really that important- the whole purpose of Z390 really is to ensure that the boards are fully up to spec with respect to the 9900k.

The mATX market is... thin.

You just gain very little, usually, over ITX, while saving very little over ATX.

If you need four RAM slots, and you're talking about video production at any serious level, then ATX should probably be up for consideration- and so should Threadripper.

But beyond that, the MSI board looks okay. Since you don't plan to overclock, the board isn't really that important- the whole purpose of Z390 really is to ensure that the boards are fully up to spec with respect to the 9900k.
Thanks for the reply.

ATX is out of the conversation because of space constraints. The computer will be used to move from set to set so size is a crucial part of this setup.

It seems that the only reasonable options for boards for this rig would be the MSI board. If I want to go way over budget, spend $400 to import a ROG Gene from the UK, but I'm not sure how reasonable that is either. The plus side to the Gene is that it offers double capacity DIMM support, so in the future, I can upgrade from 32gb RAM to 64 with the upcoming stacked DIMMs.

Still, feel like I'm compromising here which sucks.

Because I'm mostly focused on productivity

If you want more cores for video editing which usually you do, the TR matx board is actually really good. The 1/2950X are no slouches at gaming either.

The thing with mATX is most of the cases aren't really much smaller than ATX mid towers with one or two exceptions.

Yeah found this out to my shame when I built my backup PC in a NZXT H400i which I almost as big as my define R6

The thing with mATX is most of the cases aren't really much smaller than ATX mid towers with one or two exceptions.

This is so true. I used to try to keep my main gaming box in mATX format so it would be smaller, but trying to find an mATX case that’s noticeably smaller than a well designed ATX case these days is an exercise in futility. The size difference just wasn’t enough for me to continue working with the (relatively) limited, and sometimes more expensive mATX selection compared to ATX or ITX.

Find a minimalist ATX capable case (no 5.25” bay, mostly/all 2.5” for drives) and you’d be surprised how much space you can save.

I'm looking at building an mATX machine that is used primarily for video production as well as gaming.

4 RAM slots (will expand to 64gb ram in the future)
You probably not going to like what im going to say.

1) I wouldn't build on mATX on Z390, i would build on mini itx with ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AC if i wanted a small factor setup, for me micro atx is not that small, but you would have to accept 32gb as the max.

2) If i were to build on mATX, i would go with ASUS Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE, incredibly expensive, but its the only micro atx that i see worth, if you accept the special memory for it, you can still go to 64gb with those modules.

3) Another option could be to build around ASRock X399M TAICHI mATX + 2950x, would have the clocks of the 9900k but it would be a very nice setup for video production.

Back