Matrix Reloaded kicks out w/ Updat[e?].dat error

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Yo folks, this is an odd question for this forum but this forum seems to be the most appropriate for this question.

Was given a DVD (legit, bought at Sam Goody, of all 'apple pie, we overcharge' retail outlets) for Christmas, "Matrix Reloaded". Go to run it and it wants to install a little something special on my Win2k system. I say, "no thanks, do not install a snoopy, security compromising, POS proprietary prog on my box so I can watch the flick that someone shelled out $40 bucks to give to me."

Fire up an older version of Power DVD (the kind that let you watch movies without new Digital Rights invasive BS and the attendant "you do not have administrative rights to your own hardware" crap). Film will not play. First time it just hard locked with unknown error message. Tonight it first kicked out an error message about a damaged disk.

Fine, there's two discs. I put in the second. Its full of trailers and 'film about the film'. Cool stuff. Gets me primed to actually see the film, even if I'm starting on part II. Turns out there's no film on the functioning second disc. It's all 'bonus materials'.

Make sure the first disc has a high polish, put it back in, it kicks out the 'updat.dat' error message. Sounds like it's trying to 'update' something. It's a freaking film and it's trying to update something?

I go online, google "matrix reloaded" and update.dat and all I get are German, Russian and I don't even know what sites... prattling about fileshare progs while uninvited scripts execute multi-pop ups/unders, and windows whose only apparent exit button is in a foreign language and therefore may actually be a 'sure, I want to be a supernode for your hacked fileshare prog' so you have to just nuke it in task manager... as there's no exit in these little things. In short, it looks like the only folks sharing information about what this file is have a vested interest in underground hacking.

I don't want to hack this thing. I want to watch a FREAKING film that was a Christmas gift. Anyone know what the update.dat file is about?

Try updating to a newer version of WinDVD...I had problems with the older versions of WinDVD untill I updated. That should help fix the problem....

Back