Matrix RAID and games on Win 7/Vista

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
What are some ways to set up Intel Matrix RAID. Ideally I'd like to run the games on RAID 0, while data on RAID 1. Is it possible to have everything reside on drive "C:" while specifying folders as to which RAID they run off? Or is having two drives the only way to really handle things?

If possible (though perhaps unrealistic) it would be nice to be able games install on C:\Program Files with RAID 0, so I don't have to fiddle with any unexpected results when games assume that they install in that default location, especially with Vista. At the same time, games like to save in the "my documents" folder. Of course some of the other "my document" files like pictures and such would go on RAID 0.

Anyways, just wonder how things work out with all of you, how you have things configured.

Make a raid 1 volume and install windows on it.
Make a raid 0 volume and instead of asigning it the D: drive assign it a folder on the C: drive with NTFS you can do that.

So the whole C:\ is Raid 1 and C:\Games\ or c:\raid0\ for example would map transparently to the Raid 0 volume. Then when you install games or programs just specify c:\games\ for example.

It's probably possible to map C:\Program Files\ to another volume but I guess it would take a few extra "hack" steps.

In my scrennshots the volumes are not a raid volumes but it would work the same way:

step1l.jpg

step2i.jpg

Last edited:
It does, but make absolutely POSITIVE that you not just ALIGN the partitions before installing, but format the file system PROPERLY to match segment size!
Matrix RAID is slow to begin with, and not matching segment size can have a huge impact on performance. 64k segment plus 64k blocks can turn some crazy numbers in RAID1. (But smaller segment sizes are obviously better.)

Back