• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Math problem with fans and controllers

Schad

n00b
Joined
Jul 21, 2015
Messages
20
So in my build I splashed out on one of these NZXT fan controllers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-SEN-00...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1439969596&sr=1-4&keywords=nzxt

and a whole bunch of these funky led fans:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CO-...UTF8&qid=1439969775&sr=1-4&keywords=sp120+led

Now unhelpfully for me the NZXT states it can support upto 4watts per channel, and the SP120's draw a massive 0.26Amps

After many hours of trying to figure it out can any of you gifted lot solve the mystery for me. I need to link (hopefully) 4 fans together with a splitter cable will that be to much excitement for a single post on the NZXT?

Its probably a simple math equation but it eludes me (I blame it on working nights for the last couple of weeks ;) ) so anyone who can answer goes to the top of my xmas card list
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/78-sentry-lx-fan-control.html
• Supports up to 6Watt per channel

I need to link (hopefully) 4 fans together with a splitter cable will that be to much excitement for a single post on the NZXT?
all four on one cable?

somebody stop me if my math is off please
looking at the fan I see 0.26 A @ 12v so
0.26A * 12V = 3.12W (edit: that is maxed out at 1650 RPM so I'd assume 2 per channel would be ok?)
 
The real issue is spin up power. It takes more power to get the blades moving them to keep it going at a steady rpm. I believe the rule of thumb is spin up power is 2x steady state, that is what you should plan on needing unless you want to stagger spin up.
 
That's pretty much what I came up with too.

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm

He *may* be able to get away with more per channel if he doesn't run the fans at full speed though but it's a risk. Either it'll put a lot more electrical stress on the controller, the fans may "complain" (like my Cooler Master fans did once), both, or even if he tried to go above 7V output on that channel it just won't have the oomph to drive that many fans on one channel.

https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/78-sentry-lx-fan-control.html
• Supports up to 6Watt per channel


all four on one cable?

somebody stop me if my math is off please
looking at the fan I see 0.26 A @ 12v so
0.26A * 12V = 3.12W (edit: that is maxed out at 1650 RPM so I'd assume 2 per channel would be ok?)
 
That is quite bad in my opinon. Even with just two fans.
Consider thin gauge fan wires, loss on the splitter, imbalance caused by the fans spinning at different rates (different angle, different units, air pushed onto the blades from other fans) and the tendency to overestimate specs. As mentioned above spin up current.
I would not risk four.
 
Back
Top