matching Pentium 2 CPUs

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dual Pentium II 233 server which will take up to 333s. I have two questions, the first one is for this forum and I might as well ask the WTB question also.

1. How do you match Pentium II CPUs? Is there a site to do such a thing or do you just get same speed/same SL number processors?

2. Anyone have a matched set of 333s that you don't need anymore, or would like to sell?

Thanks much.

Joe

To match them you just make sure they have identical steppings, and preferably close serial numbers but that's getting pretty picky. Same steppings is usually fine.

Why do you want to upgrade them to 333s? I don't think it would really make much of a difference...anything it can't do with 233's it's not going to do with 333's and so on. I'd personally just keep what it's got now.

I'll look at work on Friday; we've got a crapload of old P2s and first-gen P3s. Also got a ton of SDRAM if your looking for that (256MB dimms).

Thanks. I already maxed out the ram at 128 PC100 ECC x 4 (512mb). Fine for being a gentoo linux samba server. If you take the calculations of 233 to 333...

333/233 = 1.43 - a 43% increase in speed - which at that rate is a fairly big increase, and since 333s are basically scrap now, it's a cheap upgrade.

Can you use 100FSB CPU's or just 66mhz?

I have a bunch of Katmai P3's laying aroung, 500mhz.

Also you may be able to run 2x Celerons

Not sure. The manual/internet says only 66MHz bus chips but I use PC100 ECC ram in it. I think it is limited by the LX chipset, at least I think it's the chipset.

It is a Micron NetFrame MV5001

Well in that case, you could try to find a set of PPGA Celerons. They maxed out at 533mhz and they should work in SMP.

Back