Matching cards for ATI Crossfire?

Is it possible to use a 512mb X1900XT with a 256mb X1900XT to run Crossfire? Thanks.

BTW...The 512mb card is the master card.

if i'm correct yes you can, but in crossfire/sli the speed is determined by the slowest card, so it will most likely be slower than two 512mb

OK...I have another "issue" right now. :)

I have a P5B-Deluxe WiFi motherboard. I have the 512mb card in the main PCIx16 slot and the other in the PCIx4 slot. The secondary card will not show up in the device manager. If I switch the cards around, both cards will show up but I can't get Crossfire to enable itself. Any ideas, or do you need more information? Thanks for the help.

Master card needs to be in the first slot, but the problem is that you had it this way and the cards don't work. Do you have another physical 16x slot (or is that the 4x slot)? I don't know CrossFire very well (being an SLI person) but I'm guessing you might have a hardware jumper or BIOS setting to tweak?

Are you the same sovereign fror OCAddiction.com?

Got a question too, can you crossfire a X1950pro mastercard and X1950XT? both 256mb..

Also in a single card rig, can you use the bottom PCIX slot instead of the top? I tried it out and it did work but I dont want to damage anything incase your not suppose to.... Thanks...

Freeloading the board you are using (P5B delux) - is it SLI or Non sli?

Does a SLI board work with Cross Fire?

can you actually use crossfire on a NON SLI board anyways?

@ luihead: No, I'm not, but as for your question yes, I believe you can. One of the biggest advantages of CrossFire is that you can use any two cards from the same series (X19xx, for example). The faster card will throttle down to match the slower. I see no reason why you can't use the bottom slot, except for bandwidth considerations. If the dongle's long enough, you shouldn't have a problem, at least in theory.

@ Magazine1: With driver hacks you can use SLI or CrossFire on any dual PCI-E board. And as for your last statement: CrossFire is intended for NON-SLI boards ;)...

Note, however, that I do not own, or know anyone who owns a CrossFire system and have no direct or indirect personal experience with this dual-GPU setup. I only have SLI. Translation: I may be way off my rocker on this, so do your own research before buying any card(s), because I'm not responsible if you take my advice and buy something that doesn't work in the end!

I got Crossfire to work. My board is of the x16,x4 variety.

Now I can't get my VIVO feature to work on the secondary X1900. The CCC can't even see the card under Information/Grahpics Hardware. I'm going to try to hook up a secondary monitor and see what happens. I'm really trying to get my video in/video out function to work again. I need it! :D

Back