Master of Orion is coming back

During some games if I was running up the score, I would goad the AI into colonizing toxic, ultra-poor, or other lousy planets and then destroy them with the stellar converter and rebuild them into large barren planets with the artificial planet tech, and terraform up to Gaias. I wish I could just disintegrate planets without an enemy colony present though... would make things much faster :)

I have it and so far it's pretty good, real time tactical combat is not to bad as you can pause it, but you can only issue simple commands. You can still custom design your ships and upgrade them as well. You are restricted to star lanes but I never found that all that horrible, plenty of other games have used star lanes and worked just fine. It would be good tho if a late game tech allowed you to go anywhere without the star lanes. I am only about 100 turns into the game so far so I have not seen the whole game yet. Diplomacy is not bad, tho they do expect you to trade freely with technology if you are on good terms with them, if you refuse they will get quite upset with you. Graphic wise it looks very nice and plays smoothly for me. Overall I like it so far, it also has a ways to go yet until it's completed and i will not decide if it's better than MOO2 until then.

My opinion - this doesn't bring anything new to the genre. It feels like MOO2+, looks better and some nice features, but nothing really new.

I am looking forward to the final product. This is only EA, so there is time to add some things. Quill and Arumba offer some good criticisms on some very minor things that would elevate the game.

I have it and so far it's pretty good, real time tactical combat is not to bad as you can pause it, but you can only issue simple commands. You can still custom design your ships and upgrade them as well. You are restricted to star lanes but I never found that all that horrible, plenty of other games have used star lanes and worked just fine. It would be good tho if a late game tech allowed you to go anywhere without the star lanes. I am only about 100 turns into the game so far so I have not seen the whole game yet. Diplomacy is not bad, tho they do expect you to trade freely with technology if you are on good terms with them, if you refuse they will get quite upset with you. Graphic wise it looks very nice and plays smoothly for me. Overall I like it so far, it also has a ways to go yet until it's completed and i will not decide if it's better than MOO2 until then.

Do your choices matter in combat? I'm wondering if it is a glorified viewer or if what you do actually matters and can change the outcome of a battle. So if you were to auto complete a battle and lost. Could you reload a save and then win because you took command?

I've heard mostly good things about it but I'm still on the fence because the combat.

Do your choices matter in combat? I'm wondering if it is a glorified viewer or if what you do actually matters and can change the outcome of a battle. So if you were to auto complete a battle and lost. Could you reload a save and then win because you took command?

I've heard mostly good things about it but I'm still on the fence because the combat.

No your choices do matter on combat, You can direct ships and even turn off the AI assist and the ships will only respond to what you tell them to do. Firing is all automatic and you have some control over when the special abilities of some ships are fired. But right now the game is in a early beta state and will be improved. feel free to wait it out if you want, but it shows a lot of promise right now.

Watched a bunch of videos over the weekend. Hype mode dissipating fast. It looks pretty slick, so there is hope they can get it together - but a lot of the design choices suggest an effort to simplify. Custom races + tactical combat were what gave MoO2 long term impact. Looks like the custom race thing is still present (albeit not accessible now), but no tactical combat kills it.

Not sure why I'd bother when GalCiv II is a thing. I really should look at GalCiv III next steam sale.

It has tactical combat just not turn based combat anymore. Plus it's still early on they may add more than what it has now for combat.

The host of Space Game Junkies stated it best - MOO2 has been one of the best 4x space game, and all other games are compared to it. Simply doing a remake won't work, because we've had a large number of successful 4x space games come out pretty recently (Sins, Distant Worlds, Endless Space, Gal Civ, etc). Right now this feels like a remake. It is certainly pretty looking, but lacks substance.

It has tactical combat just not turn based combat anymore. Plus it's still early on they may add more than what it has now for combat.

Doesn't look like much more than directing your ships where to fly. In MoO 2 you had direct control of each ship and each bank of weapons (up to 10 I believe).

This allowed you to build very specialized fleets. For example, I was rather fond of a fleet composed of battleships with long range heavy mount weapons that were particularly strong vs. shields, these were paired with smaller heavily armorered ships with only defensive weapons (anti missile rockets, point defense lasers) and space marines. Battleships would disable the enemy vessels, allowing the marines from the smaller ships to take them over. Quite fun to destroy your enemies with their own fleet.

I love getting to the end game and making ridiculous ships in MoO2. I just built a Borg Cube Doomstar with pretty much everything to boost survivability (including a leader that enhances auto-repair). Heavy armor/reinforced hull, shield capacitor, auto-repair, multi-phased shields, energy absorber, the works. It took 60 enemy ships outfitted with death rays, phasers, plasma cannons. and plasma torpedoes 3 entire turns to take down one of my Borg Cubes. It's fun seeing how deadly you can make a scout as well :)

So, it looks like there might be some shadiness going on with the Steam reviews. Found this in the 4x Gaming reddit: LOL the recent most-helpful Steam reviews all flipped to positive in one day

I played an earlier version, and wasn't really enthralled with it like I hoped. I didn't dislike it, but I found it... lacking. Of course, it wasn't finished at the time, so I don't hold that against it. I'll eventually play the final release. I will say that, from the versions I played, I wished they would have used the money from their professional voice acting on the game. I don't play 4x's for their voice acting. It makes me think they are trying to use star power to make up for other shortcomings.

Just want to say I purchased this last week and I have been having a good time with it. I spent about a month straight playing Total War: Warhammer, learning how to play it, it was my first TW game and took me a solid month to actually win a campaign. MoO is slightly easier to pick up, and while it doesn't have anything like the combat depth of TW:W, it's a really fun space version of the game. Lots of technology, dipolmacy, and the menus are pretty easy to learn and navigate. Still takes plenty of time to master, but you can get in and do pretty well without being a grand strategy pro.

So OP here, and with me comes my thoughts about this game.

Wargaming bought the rights to Master of Orion, made their own 4x, and slapped MoO paint on it. It's fun. But it's not quite Master of Orion.

So OP here, and with me comes my thoughts about this game.

Wargaming bought the rights to Master of Orion, made their own 4x, and slapped MoO paint on it. It's fun. But it's not quite Master of Orion.

From what I'd read before, they dumbed it down just too much for me to love it as much as I loved MOO and MOO2....

If it goes on sale... maybe. Like well under $10.

From what I'd read before, they dumbed it down just too much for me to love it as much as I loved MOO and MOO2....

If it goes on sale... maybe. Like well under $10.

They did simplify the game to a certain extent, but I appreciate it personally as someone who isn't 14 anymore and doesn't have 100 hours to spend learning how to play an extremely complicated game. They definitely made the game more accessible to more people, despite the fact that there really are no tutorials to my knowledge and you still have to figure a lot of shit out along the way as you go. Trial and error. But I enjoy the game, not quite as much as I did TW: Warhammer but I think I'll easily get a few campaigns and 20-30 hours out of it before I move on to something else....$29.99 is cheap compared to AAA titles these days at $59.99 that have 10 hour campaigns.

They did simplify the game to a certain extent, but I appreciate it personally as someone who isn't 14 anymore and doesn't have 100 hours to spend learning how to play an extremely complicated game.

I get that. But there should be ways to do that without changing one of the key components of the previous games. Example, many people love the combat in MOO2 but complain about the length of battles when you have giant fleets. Take a play from galciv and add logistics. So you now have limited fleet size. Speed up movement, other games give you the option to speed the moves of your units so you are not waiting on animations. I feel like they just went "tbs too hard! make it real time" or " we spent all our cash on famous voices we need to cut something"

I think MOO and I think turn based. Not turn based and RT combat. That right there makes it a when it is on sale game for me if I even buy it. Great thing there are a lot of choices out there.

Still love MoO for dos i love how it repalyeable to due random tech structure so you cant just go the same route every game.

I'm still trying to be better at this game. but seems liek im stuck at impossible level with 5 oppoents/huge galaxies. playing psion. i really should try a weaker race.
i Woulld love for a MoO Dos version with multiplayer

The ai is broken i think they don't do anything and in my last game 2 guys where at war for over 200 tuns and no one lost and they did not expand at all till the till they made peace. And the 7 ais let me win with out even trying to atack me one time the whole game.

And Why cant i save a custom race?

Back