MassiveOverkill's Micro Fly take......

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
this must literally be the 15th Micro Fly I've built, I think 5th one for my personal rig. No water cooling until restrictions on flying with liquids is ever lifted. Quad Core Rig.....see sig for specs:

MeshView.jpg

QuarterView.jpg

QuarterView2.jpg

Dual Hot-Swap SATA trayless bays:

HotSwapEject.jpg

HDHSSidePanelOff.jpg

Update: Added GhettoRAMCooler

GhettoRamCooler.jpg

Video of Masscool heatsink install and Enzotech NB heat sink (Sorry for Raymond in the background, a show I never watch)

Matrix RAID 7200.11 500 gig stripe performance:

HDTune3.jpg

Cinebench Score:

Cinebench.jpg

What model # is that CPU cooler? What would be a good alternative that doesn't break into the plane for the drive bay?

Thanks!

Very nice rig.

Just wondering what is your temperature when GPU is in idle and load?

Thanks. Idle is about 50 C, load running FUR Rendering from Ozone3D gets up to 71C (Fan running 100%).

But will a 120mm fan fit? Well you can move the hard drive cage as far forward as it will go and it will give you clearance. You can secure the cage by taking your 3.5" aluminum bay blank and use it as a lock:

HDRelocate3_25blankLock.jpg

HDLockinPlace.jpg

After modding my HD rail further guess what?

120mmFanInstalled.jpg

120mmFanTop.jpg

120mFanTop2.jpg

120FanTop3.jpg

120mmFanSkew.jpg

What are your CPU temps with that setup? Might actually help your temps to flip the 120mm fan to make it pull in, because you have the chicken wire on the side panels. Maybe not... but I would give it a shot both ways.

Well at my old OC of 3.3 Ghz with 1.3V, my load temps dropped from 72C down to 62C or thereabouts. I'm now running 3.5Ghz at 1.36V and my load temps are at 68C. My Shin Etsu hasn't cured yet and I need to wait until this cold front passes to get an acurate temperature Delta from my old heat sink.

The other thing is, is I'm using fan control on my motheboard and the only thing that sucks about this Asus is that you really can't fine tune the fan speeds (I know I could use software like speed fan). My mobo fan control lets the CPU get pretty toasty before it cransks the speed up.

I had a 120x38mm Panaflo that when mounted brought my temps down to like 56C load, but it was too loud. I need to find a good 120mm fan that won't blow my fan header, but has 4-pin PWM and does like 80 CFM.

I purposely left my 120mm case fan in the normal orientation because of the open mesh side panel, which helps suck in air to feed my 8800GT. More air gets to my RAM this way as well. WIth the side panel off, I get about 2C cooler on my CPU temps.

Oh yeah, I don't have that Ultra 120mm on there anymore, that was just for show, I now have a 90mm fan on there until I can find a better 120mm fan.

OK, I reverted back to my old OC of 3.3 Ghz but bumped my voltage up 1 increment to 1.32V (that's actual not BIOS setting, BIOS settings is like 1.4125V or something).

Room temp is 69C (normallly 76C). Running Prime, my idle temps are 43c (higest core) and load temp gets to 62C (highest core). I guess figure in another 2-3C for my ambient temps being so low. I just purchases a 120x38 Scythe and I'll post back results when I get it installed. The temperatures will be more accurate with the 120mm fan because I won't be using fan control,

with the Thermalright Ultima 90 you doubled the weight of your system - i guess...:D
Verry nice. There is nothing better than a small and cool System.

Thanks Tremeloes. Every Micro Fly I make gets better and better, learning from the previous. System is really quiet. Next 3 month upgrade I'll get a video card with a dual slot cooler. This 8800GT's fan is the only thing preventing this rig from being quiet at load.

Massive,
I want to replicate this box of yours! It rocks! I am going to order a g0 stepping q6600 from clubit. I can grab an evga 8800gt overclocked from the employee store. I already have 2 sticks of OCZ PC2 6400. The microfly is on the way, but it has the clear windows not mesh.

Where did that wire mesh come from for the case?

In terms of the motherboard, the Asus P5B-LGA 775 seems solid. What would everyone say about that compared to your P5E-VM? What's the difference?

How did you modify the HD brace?

This will be my fourth SFF box starting from my old Shuttle sn27g. I don't mind some simple mods to the box.

Thanks for the help. I am very excited!

Thanks man, I'm flattered. You can pick up the mesh over at peformance-pcs.com:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&manufacturers_id=61&products_id=22052

You can use the existing push pins with some small washers from your hardware store to secure the mesh.......the mesh is really easy to cut as it's aluminum.

I would go with the P5E-VM, this is my first Intel rig so I don't know the exact differences, but I don't think the P5B has RAID. the P5E VM definately is a better overclocker.

I cut the hard drive brace with a hacksaw, literally takes 10-15 minutes to do, just make sure you take the case completely apart including fans and front panel and vacuum her real well and/or even wash and dry the chasis when you're done to ensure you clean up all the metal shavings.

You'll need to move the hard drive bracket forward. SAVE your 3-1/2" bay aluminum blank as you can use that to secure your hard drive bracket once you move it forward. If you have 90-degree SATA power connectors it will make your life easier as well so SATA data cables with either 90 degree or really short moldings. The beauty of this is that you don't have to mod your hard drive bracket, just move it and secure it with the aluminium blank.

I got the heat sink from Performance-PCs as well:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&manufacturers_id=28&products_id=22356

I would use this fan:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=22539

The heat sink only has mountings for 25mm fans, but you can mount a 38mm thick fan on there using bread wire ties to secure it to the existing mounts.

Make sure you tell LevelLord over at Performance-PC's that I sent you over there. He's busting my chops. No I don't get any special treatment for doing so. They only live a mile away from my house.

Good luck with everything.

I am torn. I can't really afford much more than $100-$120 on the MB.

WHat are my options and still receive a good overclock? I don't care about integrated video since a 8800GT is going into this. I might RAID the system.

Candidates:
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965

any others?

Thanks!

At $30, that mesh is only $10 less than the case and at $45 the heat sink is more!

The pricing on some of this baffles me.

8^)

-Greg

Sorry, the second mesh you found for 19.95 is the stuff I'm using. I forgot they carried the 1mm stuff.

The Masscool I had before will support a mild overclcock, but the temps will hit 70C, which is within tolerance, but a bit toasty. The Ultima 90 lowered my temps a good 8-10C over the Masscool with the same fan. Once I get my 120x38mm fan, temps should drop even more.

Your thread inspired me to throw an Ultima 90 into my microfly. I haven't modded the hard drive rail yet, so I just have a 90mm panaflo sitting on top of the rail blowing towards the side of the case. I've got a big 120mm silverstone sucking out the back. I''ve overclocked my X2 3600+ brisbane from 1.9 to 2.8 ghz. Load temps hover in the 40 degree range! With the stock cooler, I would often get up to 70+ degrees under load with only a 2.4ghz overclock.

Hey thanks a ton @ MassiveOverkill for the pics and everything. I had decided for my first SFF build I wanted the Ultra Micro Fly case, but did not know how I was going to throw a scythe ninja or equivalent size heatsink into such a small case. Ill definitely be posting pics and giving props to you for the inspiration.

Also, are your heatsinks on the HDD cage really effective? do you think they are making a significant difference in your hard drive temps? :confused:

Thanks for the comments guys. The sinks on top of the hard drives help out a little since there's really no flow in that area, but I doubt they make a drastic difference. They certainly don't hurt and every little bit helps.

The haven't tested temps with the fan in the stock position vs relocated at the end of the fan tunnel (if you're wondering, the other two behind the aluminum one are empty shells), but even with the fan tunnel, I still needed to put a fan directly on my RAM to bring the temps down since I'm running 2.1v. RAM temps dropped a good 20C.

The fan tunnel,does help though since the air is being directed more where it needs to be vs in the stock location, where it's less concentrated.

BTW, Here are pics with a 120x38mm fan mounted. With the 120x38 fan my load temps get to 65, 65, 61, 61 (room temp 76F), but the system is fairly quiet since the 120 on the heat sink only spins at 2000rpm.

120x38top.jpg

120x38top2.jpg

OK, I reverted back to my old OC of 3.3 Ghz but bumped my voltage up 1 increment to 1.32V (that's actual not BIOS setting, BIOS settings is like 1.4125V or something).

Room temp is 69C (normallly 76C). Running Prime, my idle temps are 43c (higest core) and load temp gets to 62C (highest core). I guess figure in another 2-3C for my ambient temps being so low. I just purchases a 120x38 Scythe and I'll post back results when I get it installed. The temperatures will be more accurate with the 120mm fan because I won't be using fan control,

Your room tempurature was 69C? Thats about 156 degrees Fahrenheit you know. Kinda toasty.

Yeah, out of all the people that read this thread, you're the only one that didn't figure out that 69C was a typo, obviously I meant 69F (normally 76F). :rolleyes:

Also work as always. I've been here since your Qpack days, and they always get better and better. :)

Thanks Bllue, you take my ideas and make make em better (like 3M). I liked your first water-cooled Q-Pack with the custom Plexi/Acrylic cover. You've always show respect, even when I've seen others criticize you. Tell your parents i said they did a good job in raising you.

i meshed both sides of my microfly with some mesh i got from a hardware store for like 1.18$it was silver in color i painted,and clear coated it.

100_0450.jpg

here it is hanging out to dry after painting lol

100_0446.jpg

i meshed both sides of my microfly with some mesh i got from a hardware store for like 1.18$it was silver in color i painted,and clear coated it.

How did you go about securing the mesh on the panel? The little snaps that hold the plexi in place don't work too well at holding the mesh on mine. I had to bend the mesh wire around it, and it still doesn't look the best.

Thanks.

Back