Massive XP64 problems in CS:S?

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Uhh...so I installed XP64, and updated everything: Windows, chipset drivers, 6800GT drivers, etc. Then I decided I would see if CS:S performed any better...it definitely does. At 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF it doesn't hitch anywhere, except for one thing: at random points, sometimes every 20 seconds, sometimes every 4 seconds, the game will entirely freeze and all the sounds playing at the time will loop ridiculously fast. The framerates before and after these little seizures are always fine, over 80.

I'm downloading Aquamark now to see if the problem carries over into that. Does anybody know what would cause this stuttering problem?

Alright, just tested 3dmark2001SE. Same thing: total freeze every few seconds, blazing besides that. These are the 71.84 drivers...I guess I'll uninstall and attempt another set?

Uhh yeah, 76.80 drivers do the same thing. It takes them a bit longer, but they do it all the same. Please say somebody's had this problem before and knows how to fix it.

Disabling onboard audio (I have a VIA Envy24) in the BIOS gets 3dmark2001 to go much longer without freezing...but it eventually does it nonetheless.

Any suggestions, please?

Back