Massive Supercomputer to Manage Nuclear Stockpile

HardOCP News

[H] News
Having a supercomputer manage a nuclear stockpile? That is as scary as it is cool. Insert your own “Skynet became self-aware at…” joke here.

Because a computer this size has never been built, scaling the processor count, memory DIMMs and management subsystems comes with a level of uncertainty, Turek acknowleged. "This is not an exercise for the faint of heart," he said "When you push the limits of scalability you start to observe problems that were simply unanticipated."

All that computing power in 96 racks. That's pretty awesome.

Its really more to model certain aspects of nuclear physics than to manage anything fyi. LANL really, really likes fancy computers and pushes the boundaries on how much hardware they can justify. For kicks grab the public budget docs and look at how much they've spent on computers in the past few years.

Yeah, sounds like they're just developing it for risk analysis. Whatever the case though, that's one badass computer. 1.6 million processor cores could do a LOT of folding. :D Let's just hope that thing doesn't become self aware.

Well shoot, I was hoping we would eventually see a super computer using GPUs. Could have just thrown a ton of 4870x2s or 4850x2s in there and written the code to utilize them. Could maybe even play crysis!

I saw this twighlight episode...

but... if my pc bsods, and most government pcs i've used have issues... what will happen when this uber machine fails controlling all of our systems?

anything thats built is made to fail regardless, even the titanic.

nuclear bombs are retarded

I thought they already had a super computer to run simulations on nuclear material.

What exactly do they compute on these supercomputers. Their not being used for development of new weapons, their being used to keep track of existing weapons.
All these weapons do is sit around in warehouses.

What exactly do they compute on these supercomputers. Their not being used for development of new weapons, their being used to keep track of existing weapons.
All these weapons do is sit around in warehouses.

Sequoia will allow scientists to perform simulations to help determine whether the weapons are stable and safe, and if they will work properly if the government should decide to use them.
Not into reading the articles, eh?;)

I would guess they mostly work on the effects of aging on the weapons. Nuclear material and explosives change over time. Because there's sort of a ban on testing, they run lots of simulations to try to understand the effects of the aging process on the performance and safety of the weapons. In the old days they'd just explode a few of them a year to keep data on reliability and performance. Since they can't do that they simulate it. Also they have to know how safe and stable they are to enable dismantlement and that sort of thing.

ROFLMAO

This is a joke right, operational date 2012...just because of the stigma of that year I would of had it done 2011, but why the hell have something that has been illustrated in fiction to be such a potentially apocalyptic in a year so many claim to be the fucking end of the world :D

I still say sentient machines do no deserve rights . . . . er . . . sorry, wrong thread. :p

I am so so ENTIRELY sick of the "Skynet" references . . UG . . .
No matter how big it is it is just a over sized calculator running simulations! . . . no "thinking" possible or ever possible.
When my Cat spontaneously becomes a super genius and takes over the world then start worrying about the possibility of a Skynet! (because we will be in lame fiction land) :p

So we have this, human rights for robots, and the military wanting to program the Geneva conventions into robot's.

How can this not be SkyNet?

When my Cat spontaneously becomes a super genius and takes over the world then start worrying about the possibility of a Skynet! (because we will be in lame fiction land) :p

i'm in your stockpyle, stealin yer nuxes :p

ROFLMAO

This is a joke right, operational date 2012...just because of the stigma of that year I would of had it done 2011, but why the hell have something that has been illustrated in fiction to be such a potentially apocalyptic in a year so many claim to be the fucking end of the world :D

So any potential "bad projects" should be put on hold the entire 2012 year? Why not just not "flip the switches" on December 12?

Seriously computer crunching power to see how a particular warhead should react that's it.

Granted I don't know exactly how the program is "aging" the nukes, but seems to me the randomness of everything would make it really useless, predicting all the possible outcomes and what not of it...

Need to design a plug and play nuke, you have rockets (no worrying about their decay) and you have nuclear material you can just slide in, stuff that doesn't get used, send to nuclear power plants! :D

I always imagine these places to look like Shadow Moses Island in MGS. The super comuter is Metal Gear Hex ^^

ROFLMAO

2011 is when Skynet goes online in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Should we start looking for "John Connor" on facebook?

As long as he is Christian Bale, he can yell profanity at them for getting in front of him while he works. Then the robots/skynet will cry and die off. :D

The bigger issue is simply that the modeling won't be accurate. Our track record isn't great and despite the power of the computer, it still depends on a man made model and that our understanding of things are complete. It is possible to safely live test the weapons and that'd certainly be the more accurate choice.

I am so so ENTIRELY sick of the "Skynet" references . . UG . . .
No matter how big it is it is just a over sized calculator running simulations! . . . no "thinking" possible or ever possible.

What do you mean? It makes the best possible decision. Best defense for itself is complete annihiliation of mankind! If human == retarded, then Nuke.activation = Judgment Day

Back