Massive production drop

praedictus

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
18
Ever since the end of timeless modules back in August, my production has dropped alarmingly. I was doing a fairly steady 100+ PPD (my machine's only a SemPr0n 2500+ so sue me). Now I'm a casualty even though I'm still folding 24/7, having switched to timed units. Instead of 2-day tinkers worth 240 points, I seem to get 300 point units that take over a week to complete. :mad:
 
Yep, theres some pretty hairy new WU's, I've had a bit of a drop as well.
 
praedictus said:
Ever since the end of timeless modules back in August, my production has dropped alarmingly. I was doing a fairly steady 100+ PPD (my machine's only a SemPr0n 2500+ so sue me). Now I'm a casualty even though I'm still folding 24/7, having switched to timed units. Instead of 2-day tinkers worth 240 points, I seem to get 300 point units that take over a week to complete. :mad:

what software version are you running?
 
FWIW I'm running the 5.04 Linux client.
Current workunit is using the FahCore_A0.exe engine, as have most of the recent ones. Most of these "nasty" workunits are 1498_POPC proteins and the their ilk.
 
You should be running around 1.6-2.0 Points per Hour per Ghz.
So at 2 Ghz a 300 point Gromac should take around 300/2/1.8/24= 3.47 days.
If your takeing double that then it sounds like the SSE boost is switched off.
Check in your log file at the start of a protien.
Do you get a line similar to --> [10:31:02] Extra SSE boost OK.
If not then boost is off.
Add the -forceasm switch to turn it back on.

Tinkers dont use SSE so dont need that switch.
Also Tinkers get a Points per Day boost on AMD CPU's.

Luck ............ :D
 
you shouldn't be getting the A0.exe unless you are running -advmethods and/or bigpackets=yes
 
The asm boosts are both enabled (3dnow and SSE). I may do the forceasm switch next time the client gets shut down unexpectedly (power failure or g*d forbid overheat), as I did notice they get switched off after abnormal exits.
Bigpackets is on, has been since I started last year. I occasionally got a sweet 5-day 600 pointer back in the in the old days :)
 
Back
Top