• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Massive hard drive corruption after system upgrade.

electric!sheep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 1, 2001
Messages
7,544
So switched out my dual PII400 440BX system with 128MB RAM for an Athlon 64 3000+ with 1GB of DDR400 on a Soltek K8TPro. That went fine once I got a power supply with the gay square connector. I boot, Windows 2000 starts loading, reaches the graphical boot screen, and gives me a BSOD--boot device inaccessible. So I fuck around until 4AM, trying to repair, CHKDSK (which went slow as shit at 50%+ so I killed it), and god knows what else, finally installing on another drive. I took a look at the old drive, and a lot of my files are corrupt, anywhere from 99% in my images folder (though some will still display a thumbnail) to 50% in some music folders. Some folders are perfectly OK.

I'm running CHKDSK again and it's trying to recover bad sectors, but what the fuck happened? I thought it was just a conflict between the old IDE drivers and the VIA chipset, but this looks more like I jolted the computer too hard while moving the case.

Any suggestions on recovering?
 
you're suppose to reinstall windows or do a repair after that, you can't just put the hard drive back, because of the new chipset and all the hardware
 
It's probably changing the chipset of the IDE devices that screwed everything up. It's probably going to be difficult to recover, but I'd say the first step would be get another disk, then copy it over bit-for-bit and use that version to play with.

BTW, where's the dual p3 going? I could use one of those... My file server is a single 440bx :rolleyes: I could pay for shipping, and it would have a good home.
 
unhappy_mage said:
It's probably changing the chipset of the IDE devices that screwed everything up. It's probably going to be difficult to recover, but I'd say the first step would be get another disk, then copy it over bit-for-bit and use that version to play with.

I installed fresh on a different drive, I'm just browsing the old disk now. So doing a bit-for-bit wouldn't help if the source is corrupt. :(

BTW, where's the dual p3 going? I could use one of those... My file server is a single 440bx :rolleyes: I could pay for shipping, and it would have a good home.

Not sure yet...I'll probably turn it into a media station for the living room if I can find a cheap vid card with TV out. If don't hoard it like I do all my other old crap, you can have first dibs. :D
 
electric!sheep said:
Not sure yet...I'll probably turn it into a media station for the living room if I can find a cheap vid card with TV out. If don't hoard it like I do all my other old crap, you can have first dibs. :D
Hooray for packrats! and also dibs!

Don't feel too bad about it; I lost a disk the same way once. A week later I wasn't even thinking about it. Files tend to get irrelevant quickly; after the first 2 or 3 times you've watched a movie or listened to a song it's about had it. I find the only solution is to have a huge number of movies/songs. Get on it, man: Best Buy awaits! ;)
 
unhappy_mage said:
Hooray for packrats! and also dibs!

Don't feel too bad about it; I lost a disk the same way once. A week later I wasn't even thinking about it. Files tend to get irrelevant quickly; after the first 2 or 3 times you've watched a movie or listened to a song it's about had it. I find the only solution is to have a huge number of movies/songs. Get on it, man: Best Buy awaits! ;)

Yeah, no kidding. My 100GB music collection was becoming obsolete, but I guess I like having things for posterity.
 
Back
Top