Massive AoC update released 6/24

All right, all right. You guys have piqued my curiosity. I never finished leveling my assassin, and I got so sick of the shit that I quit after 6 months. I've got a mid 30's Barb I always enjoyed playing and a mid 70's assn. that I liked up until something I can't recall happening.

I've been looking for a push to try it again. Here I go

3 months is charging on ahead now? :confused:

That was said more in reference to the people that bulldoze through everything and get to the level cap within a few days/a week.

HOW IS IT PEOPLE?!

It's good fun. But then, my tastes might differ from yours. It's a lot more stable, there's lots more content, there's a massive community but all the same you'd do well to take 5 minutes on the forums to find out which are the most densely-populated servers.

One thing I'd suggest is that people try a few classes to see what they like. I've known a couple of people that left because they hated it, and when I went to try their class it was horrible to play, for me. They've since resubscribed, of course ;)

Should I roll on a PvP or General server? Will I be missing out on anything by not rolling on a PvP server? I have heard some nightmare stories of level 15 players getting ganked repeatedly and having a hard time leveling. Can an AoC veteran offer me some advice?

I picked this up on Steam for $20 a couple of weeks back. After a long download, very long, I'm about to try this out. I'm defragging now, that might be a long process now, though.

I picked this up on Steam for $20 a couple of weeks back. After a long download, very long, I'm about to try this out. I'm defragging now, that might be a long process now, though.

I just started a toon on the PvP server Tyranny. If you want to play together sometime let me know. My steam ID is Pandub

So tempted to resubscribe. I forgot what server my Guardian was on. I might even reroll...

Is there any end game in AoC yet?

I rolled assassin on a pvp server and got to 80 in the first month, resubbed once and regretted it, nothing to do and the assassin was way underpowered.

I keep getting tempted to resub but everytime I start thinking about it my mind becomes clouded with all the stupid bugs the assassin had, females attacking slower than males and just rage about it all and decide against it.

Should I roll on a PvP or General server? Will I be missing out on anything by not rolling on a PvP server? I have heard some nightmare stories of level 15 players getting ganked repeatedly and having a hard time leveling. Can an AoC veteran offer me some advice?

I prefer a general server. There's elective PvP, so when you want to bash some bastards you can do so, but you can also level unharassed. Some people like to grind PvP levels by raping people as they do jobs, which is a bit cheap.

Is there any end game in AoC yet?

I rolled assassin on a pvp server and got to 80 in the first month, resubbed once and regretted it, nothing to do and the assassin was way underpowered.

I keep getting tempted to resub but everytime I start thinking about it my mind becomes clouded with all the stupid bugs the assassin had, females attacking slower than males and just rage about it all and decide against it.

Stuff like that was fixed back around/before December, I'm sure I remember you even posting in one of the threads about it.

Does anybody know if you can use the 30 days free with a new retail box copy to re-activate an old account? Funcom really doesn't seem to have any options for those of us who used to play and don't want to pay $15+ to find out if we still don't like what they've done with the place...

how exactly did you use your existing account! please explain!

I didn't, I was already subscribed when the trial was released. I'm afraid I don't know how, I just know that there were people who were playing on their existing accounts. It must be a case of just logging in with your old account details when you start up the trial, I suppose.

I am one of those who bought the game at launch and quit after my free month was up. So I'm pretty darn reluctant to give it another shot...
EDIT: Signed up for a 7 day trail for the hell of it.

Last edited:
I think I'll give this another shot over the weekend when I'm bored. I don't have that much time for games anymore, so when I do play hopefully this will hold my interest.

Which are more of the fun/better classes? I'd like some of your opinions. I forgot what I started with..

I had great fun with the HoX, a melee/magic hybrid with a lovecraftian demon form and a big two-handed chopper. Bear Shaman was AMAZING too, when played well it was a powerhouse, but they toned it down a lot with this new patch and added big stamina/mana drains. Not so fun.

If you like WoW-style one hit hotkeys, necro/demonologist are the most powerful damage classes in the game at the moment. If you're not boring and actually like getting involved, Assassin, Barbarian, and HoX are a lot of fun. All three soldiers are viable tanks now, and the Dark Templar is my favourite. Conquerors look and sound cool but are tedious. I made one as my free level 50 and wish I'd made it a DT instead.

When i played i got my assassin to lvl 80. The guild i was in had alot of server first on boss's. People started to jump ship when war came out so i went with them.

I had a lot of fun the first month. I quit kinda because everyone else was quitting. I am going to give it another shot!

Played up until the 30's after release, stopped due to combat related/character bugs. I reinstalled this weekend and tried it again. I have friends that play, so I knew if things went well there would be people to play with. However, after spending some time with the game, I just can't get past the clunkiness of the interface. It's just not as polished/solid as I'd expect it to be by now. Sticky bits that you'd expect the developers to include just to make the experience "feel" good. They're just not there. Well, that's my 2 cents.

I'll try out the HoX. Thanks, Fliddy.

As soon as you hit 10 go for 5/5 reduced cooldown on HfB with the pos. feat tree. Leave fiery weapons until you get to 15: instant HfB is a complete standard.

Played up until the 30's after release, stopped due to combat related/character bugs. I reinstalled this weekend and tried it again. I have friends that play, so I knew if things went well there would be people to play with. However, after spending some time with the game, I just can't get past the clunkiness of the interface. It's just not as polished/solid as I'd expect it to be by now. Sticky bits that you'd expect the developers to include just to make the experience "feel" good. They're just not there. Well, that's my 2 cents.

Agreed on the interface. Luckily, there are some good user-made ones out there, the best of which is called Stonerune.

http://aoc.curse.com/downloads/aoc-addons/details/stonerune-ui.aspx

Screens at the bottom. Adds lots of functonality with hotkey mapping and such. Example: http://aoc.curse.com/downloads/aoc-addons/details/stonerune-ui.aspx

Last edited:
those of us that have the original disks........how big is the download 10 gigs , 18 gigs????

is there still a 50 person max per zone instance?

is there still no talking npc's after tortage?

does the armor still look the same all the way thru the game with little variations?

Last edited:
As soon as you hit 10 go for 5/5 reduced cooldown on HfB with the pos. feat tree. Leave fiery weapons until you get to 15: instant HfB is a complete standard.
I have really no clue what you just said, lol. But I think I'll be able to manage once I start.
those of us that have the original disks........how big is the download 10 gigs , 18 gigs????

The 1.5 patch is 10 fucking gigs?

The 1.5 patch is 10 fucking gigs?

I had the OG disk, and it did one update of about 535 megs, then it did whatever the new one is and it was 1.8 gigs.

I just let it run and went to bed. The DVD's themselves take forever, the installer even says "This might take a while" which always made me laugh.

As far as classes go, I had a love/hate thing with the devs and how they handled the assassin class, and Barbarian struck a good blend of survivability and beat ass which I always enjoyed. You weren't really heavy damage, and you weren't really a tank, but a nice in between. I stopped playing back in november, so I have no clue how it goes now.

Last edited:

is there still a 50 person max per zone instance?

is there still no talking npc's after tortage?

does the armor still look the same all the way thru the game with little variations?

My AoC folder comes to just under 28 gigs at the moment.

Don't know.

There are talking NPCs now, yes.

No, a lot of it looks really good as you progress. I quit like the way it's done, with everything looking really shitty as you start and gradually looking a lot better, the old character "growing" sort of noise.

I have really no clue what you just said, lol. But I think I'll be able to manage once I start.

Yeah, you'll see as soon as you start playing it. It's the main attack, just whack it to "4" and spam it between combos.

I played a little yesterday and it sucks. I'm going to continue to play to see if I like it, lol. I'm giving this game way too much credit.

yeah, but I gave it another shot and I'm enjoying it now. I can only play for 20-30min at a time, but it's better than nothing.

You'll get so catastrophically annoyed on a free-PvP server. The starting areas is where PvP XP comes easily, there will be so many people camping out in whitesands at level 20, just farming PvP XP. You won't be able to enjoy the game, which is why I started again on a general.

Also, when do I get that thing so my magic doesn't get interrupted while I'm casting?

Press "p" and in the skills tab on the right put points into casting concentration. You only need about 50% of the total for the HoX, and stuns or knockbacks will still cancel them no matter how many you put in.

Honestly, I tried. I really just don't enjoy this game at all. There is just something about it but I can't put my finger on it. It's just very boring to me.

Back