Massdrop AKG 553 Pro Headphones, $119

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by valis1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. valis1

valis1 Limp Gawd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  2. vsboxerboy

vsboxerboy 2[H]4U

Not that there's anything explicitly wrong with it, but maybe for transparency sake point out that you're giving out a referral link with your id rather than a link to the actual item:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

3. John721

John721 [H]ard|Gawd

The old K550s are super comfy headphones. For my large helmet size and ears, it's one of very few headphones that were extremely comfortable out of the box. Good sound, too and suprisingly 'open' for a closed can. I still use one with a modmic for team gaming.

If the K553s brought up the bass just a tad, I can see them being a serious winner for this price.

4. rudy

rudy [H]ardForum Junkie

I think there actually is something wrong with it I doubt hard forum allows referral links for non sponsors like most forums.

5. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

are the headphones actually good? The problem is that all the reviews mention the massdrop deal. Which leads me to question if they are actual reviews.

6. chiablo

chiablo Limp Gawd

Yea, it's kind of like reading a bad Amazon review where all they talk about is how crappy the shipping was.

7. Eulogy

Eulogy 2[H]4U

I have these from the very first drop. They're decent... but I like my Sony MDR-7506s more. I've contemplated selling these several times, but am too lazy to list them. They're at work now since I won't give a damn if they get stolen, and I don't need an amp to drive them at all.

8. phas3d

phas3d Gawd

Last two times i've purchased anything on Massdrop, either or/both Amazon and Newegg had the same product on sale cheaper during the "fullfilling" or "shipping" stage of the Massdrop process. Massdrop never responded to hundreds of complaints and hundreds of requests to have Massdrop lower the price they charged to match.

My advice is, if you see something you like on Massdrop, like these 553 pro, then wait for them to go on sale at Amazon or Newegg or put in a request to sales at either site to see if they will match the price. Trust me, they are watching Massdrop sales and basing some of their pricing discounts accordingly.

9. Ins0mnyteq

Ins0mnyteq Gawd

pretty much this. Bought 3 items from massdrop and this exact scenario has happened each time. not only that ive waited 2-3 months to get items.

as for the head phones for $100 their ok, not special by any means.

10. ARA662

ARA662 [H]Lite

11. File

File Gawd

Thats a swell review with a good personal connection ARA662.

12. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

If you want reviews of headphones, you go to head fi. People don't buy audio equipment on there without reading reviews elsewhere.

I can't say whether this is a good deal (look on camel), but they've had some great deals on UE IEMs. I think the last drop was roughly 300 less than what Ultimate Ears sells them for.

The downside is by all accounts the process of shipping them is ridiculously slow, but for 300 off, it's probably worth it. If not, you've got the cash, why are you on Massdrop ;)

13. StryderxX

StryderxX [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not a big fan of the AKG 550s because the ear pads are to big and thin! If you don't get a good seal around the ear the sound isn't going to be good. If AKG increases the padding then I might look at these again but as is I can't recommend them.

14. John721

John721 [H]ard|Gawd

Here's measurements and impressions both:

http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=2265.0

15. Blorgon

Blorgon Limp Gawd

Not really sure why you left that here. Those cans are in a totally different class (closed-back vs open, application, price, build quality)...

I mean, if somebody is just looking for something casual and inexpensive to listen to some tunes on, they should check out the Phillips pair, but the 553s (if they're identical to the 550s in every regard other than the bass boost) will blow the Phillips cans out of the water in every other way than price.

I feel like if people are already looking for headphones like the 553s, they also already have an idea of what they're looking for, and the Phillips cans are far from it.

Not meaning to be a dick or anything, but I just really can't see anybody making the argument that the Phillips cans are in any way equal to the AKGs.