Mass Effect 2 $30 @ Impulse

UPDATE: D2D and GamersGate are also listing these prices. Guess it was time for a ME2 sale!

Regular Edition $29.95
Digital Deluxe Edition $39.95

Source: http://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/search/mass+effect+2

Seems like a deal on a game everyone is ga ga over.

Added: That other "gamer" site also has this price, until midnight PST. Impulse's price is good through the weekend, and it has the best price on the deluxe edition.

Last edited:
Impulse is Stardock's distribution system, its not going anywhere either.

It is digital distribution, but unlike steam you don't have to have it open with the game, in fact after installing the game you could uninstall impulse even,

It is digital distribution, but unlike steam you don't have to have it open with the game, in fact after installing the game you could uninstall impulse even,
I have been able to run any 3rd party game purchased with steam without running the actual steam client. I have yet to try it with in house valve games, but I doubt it would work without the steam client.

BTW if the digital distributor ever did go south, even if you could run the game without the client software, what happens when it comes time to reinstall on a new OS install? Might not always work the way you think.

Steam requires you to run the Steam client to run any game. That's just how it works, and no secret is made of that fact. Impulse does not, also no secret is made of that fact.

Steam requires you to run the Steam client to run any game. That's just how it works, and no secret is made of that fact. Impulse does not, also no secret is made of that fact.

An important factor

100% WRONG!

One example would be Bad Company 2. The sub-directory structure with Steam based games are the same as the retail game once you get into the root directory of the game. NOTHING prevents you from running the game by executing the EXE.

Creating a game shortcut in steam is NOT the same. That launches steam. Executing the exe directly or creating your own shortcut is the way to bypass Steam all together.

This isn't a discussion about Steam vs. Impulse nor a discussion about digital distribution services being good or bad.

This is a hot deals discussion about Mass Effect being on Sale for $30. Thanks OP, i bought it.

This isn't a discussion about Steam vs. Impulse nor a discussion about digital distribution services being good or bad.

This is a hot deals discussion about Mass Effect being on Sale for $30. Thanks OP, i bought it.

No, but it is a discussion about what potential buyers are getting. I am tempted by this deal, but I want to know that I'm going to get an install file that I can use later without needing to install or authenticate with the Impulse client. Same applies to playing the installed game.

100% WRONG!

One example would be Bad Company 2. The sub-directory structure with Steam based games are the same as the retail game once you get into the root directory of the game. NOTHING prevents you from running the game by executing the EXE.

Creating a game shortcut in steam is NOT the same. That launches steam. Executing the exe directly or creating your own shortcut is the way to bypass Steam all together.

Unless you are 100% certain that this is 100% true of 100% of games sold on steam, you are 100% wrong about him being 100% wrong :rolleyes:

No, but it is a discussion about what potential buyers are getting. I am tempted by this deal, but I want to know that I'm going to get an install file that I can use later without needing to install or authenticate with the Impulse client. Same applies to playing the installed game.

But that doesn't belong here, there's other places to discuss the advantages/disadvantages for any of those services.

But that doesn't belong here, there's other places to discuss the advantages/disadvantages for any of those services.

Then report it to a moderator or appeal to the thread creator to lock the thread if it bothers you so much. What else is there to talk about in a thread that is nothing more than an advertisement?

Goddamn self-appointed thread police...

I could be wrong, but if you double click on the *.exe from Steam, you still have to go through their system (i.e. Steam DRM).

Impulse has infinite downloads and such like Steam. But it has faster download speeds than Steam. They also have a minimalist philosophy, when it comes to installing extra stuff on your system. They keep the DRM is as light as the publisher will let them. The downloader just downloads games if that's all you want it to do. You can let impulse patch your games, or you can go to the game's website and download the patch that hard copy users get (at least for Dragon Age). When you click on an impulse .exe you're not going through some 3rd party system. It really does feel like you're playing a game with a no-cd patch.

Steam has more games to choose from and they have a chat system.

If for nothing else I like Impulse because they (Stardock) published the Gamer's Bill of Rights

As soon as Bioware came out and said they wouldn't ever support Eyefinity, I wrote this game off.

I won't reward the devs who were too lazy to patch a feature that makes space style games as well as RPGs fantastic looking.

Sucks too because I was looking forward to playing it.

[L]imey;1035475466 said:
As soon as Bioware came out and said they wouldn't ever support Eyefinity, I wrote this game off.

I won't reward the devs who were too lazy to patch a feature that makes space style games as well as RPGs fantastic looking.

Not sure what their deal is there. They have it for Dragon Age. ME3 will support it for sure.

I know, its lame. I love DAO, its gorgeous on triplescreen. I was really looking forward to space travel at my 5040x1050 res :(

[L]imey;1035475466 said:

I think you meant to say, "I won't reward devs who made a ridiculous game of huge acclaim because they didn't include a feature that a tiny fraction of the market can actually take advantage of...yet." Never say never yo.

I didn't say never. They did.

They feel it wasn't worth it to put in a feature that shows off the beauty of their work. It can obviously be done (plenty of other Unreal engire games run EF) and DAO ran it like a champ with a patch one week after release.

They simply can't be bothered to implement it, so I simply can't be bothered to spend my money on it. Just because a game has huge acclaim doesn't mean i have to buy it if it doesn't support the features I want.

I bought AC2 (I know blasphemy, drm, blah blah blah) because it has native and PERFECT eyefinity support. No reason not to include it when the engine supports it, unless you're just not wanting to take the time. I'll spend my entertainment dollar elsewhere.

Back