masking tape

i know everyone uses and does this differently, but what are the best ways to mask up a case, and then cut out the desired design? i dont want to cut on the metal yet, so is there a way i could cut it before hand, then just lay it on the panel?

Do you mean drawing a template first then cutting it out?
Are you going to be painting?

If your gonna be masking off large areas (panels for example) that are not gonna see any
cuts then just cover it up with brown paper bags and masking tape.

bored-sarcasm said:
i know everyone uses and does this differently, but what are the best ways to mask up a case, and then cut out the desired design? i dont want to cut on the metal yet, so is there a way i could cut it before hand, then just lay it on the panel?
i just took a large piece of paper, taped it on my side panel, drew the design i want, take it off, cut it out, then lay it back on and positioned it so when i liked it, i drew the design onto the side panel in pencil and then cut it out

Use high quality auto masking tape when doing this if you plan to leave the tape on for more than a day or 2.
Cheap masking tape will leave its glue all over your part and can be a pain to remove. Good masking tape will range in price from 4-10$ a roll depending on the width. When masking a large side panel get the 2" wide tape, it leaves less seams to deal with, masks faster/better coverage and is easier to draw on.
3M is one of the best there is and most auto paint stores will carry it. Use the yellow pages to find an auto paint store, dont buy this stuff from pep boys or similar auto parts places, they will rip your head off on price. IN a pinch you can use 3Ms blue or green painters tape, but the places that carry it (like Home Depot) charge rip off prices for it. A Sherwin Williams paint store or similar store that sells wallcoverings and Latex paint will have this tape at a better price.

Keep your tape clean, do not lay the roll down on its side, it will pick up lint and dust that will dirty the edge and will thus be tranfered to your work surface.

thing is im going to be painting this two toned, black and blue, and so i need a way to have the tape cut for my design, then be able to transfer it on to the panel without leaving gouge marks on the the sides...

thanks

yeah, thats gonna be tough to do, you could have it printed and cut on a vinyl plotter and then apply the vinyl to your part. What is the design you are cutting out, how complex is it?

Back