Marvel Heroes 2015

Gigantism

Gawd
I had tried the game when it was released more than a year ago and it was indeed quite terrible.
Fast forward a year or so later, and the game has been rebranded 2015. I kept on seeing articles and videos about "why you should try MH 2015 again", "most improved game of 2014" etc.

I saw Age of Ultron, got excited (cause I'm a child deep down lol) and decided to try it again.

The game is actually super fun and quite polished now. I haven't gone back to POE in months, and don't even talk to me about Diablo 3 anymore...

One thing I find this game does that sets it apart from its competition: the roster of 40 or so heroes.
In general, I get bored of these games after a while, and what keeps it fresh for me is to try and level a new class. Thing is, typically these game offer only a handful of classes (5 or so).

In MH2015, each hero is quite unique and the gameplay is in most cases completely different. Trying out a bunch of heroes and eventually having 10-15 alts has worked out great for me.

Also, there are no paywalls in this game. It's Free 2 Play but absolutely not Pay 2 Win.
All things in the cash shop are cosmetic, except for more stash space.

There are about 15 heroes you can play for free, and about 25 more that can be unlocked by using RL money, or in-game currency (obtained while playing the game).

If you haven't tried it yet, or haven't tried it since its disastrous launch, and usually like the ARPG/Diablo clone genre, do yourself a favor and look into it...

Is it like Marvel vs Capcom for the Sega Saturn?

That was THE best Marvel game still to this day.

My problem with the game is it should have been more of a create your own hero in the Marvel universe. I didn't care for the loot as a result or seeing the same hero over and over.

My problem with the game is it should have been more of a create your own hero in the Marvel universe. I didn't care for the loot as a result or seeing the same hero over and over.

It is true that the fact that your hero doesn't change appearance bothers people somewhat.
however, I never thought your appearance change in these types of games were really cool either...barely see anything...

Create your own hero in the Marvel universe would be kinda like DCUO, and it wasn't all that cool IMO to make your own hero. It was the same with City of Heroes /Champions online, it was cool at first, you make a bunch of alts, but in the end it's just meh...

Now, if you play as Iron Man or Magneto or Dr Doom, that is where the fun is at!

Still playing Diablo 3, but Marvel was a fun break. I stopped playing in Nov 2014, and came back to it recently to see many changes. Too bad the crafting system is so clunky.

Had a good time for spending about $70 in game on some of the characters I wanted up front. Lots of sales as well as events. I have told friends its sort of like Diablo 2 with Marvel characters, spend about $20 and its a pretty good game. No one bites. This game really shows how polished Diablo 3 is.

Magneto and Squirrelgirl are my favorites.

Still playing Diablo 3, but Marvel was a fun break. I stopped playing in Nov 2014, and came back to it recently to see many changes. Too bad the crafting system is so clunky.

Had a good time for spending about $70 in game on some of the characters I wanted up front. Lots of sales as well as events. I have told friends its sort of like Diablo 2 with Marvel characters, spend about $20 and its a pretty good game. No one bites. This game really shows how polished Diablo 3 is.

Magneto and Squirrelgirl are my favorites.

I didn't spend any money on it until a few days ago when I decided it was time to reward the developer since I have been enjoying their game so much (I bought a costume - spent $10 total).

It doesn't matter how polished Diablo 3 is since I am not having fun playing that game anymore. Marvel feels fresher being in a non-fantasy setting, the whole MCU is upon us big time and this game feels like a nice little tie-in, and it is super fun to play as your favorite characters.

The devs really nailed the feel for each hero and made them quite unique. Playing as Thor or Magneto or Daredevil feels completely different.

And although Diablo 3 feels really smooth and solid, MH feels pretty much just as smooth IMO...I think the technological superiority of Diablo 3 is over-hyped.

All in all, we are still comparing a game that cost like $100 (including expansion) to a game that costs nothing to play and you might or might not spend $10-50 at some point but only if you really feel like it.

It's free, so nothing to lose IMO. If you like ARPGs and Marvel, you should check it out...

Is this an online only or is there a way to either play offline or prevent anyone else from joining my game?

I don't mind it being online only, but I prefer to play it solo.

It is online only but that doesn't prevent you from playing solo. The addition of the danger room in the next couple months makes it the most complete ARPG out there.

This game is actually fairly fun, but after doing a near 2 year year stint in poe, i'm almost arpg'd out. Still, good core gameplay, and a different form of crafting.. once you get the hang of it, it's actually really good, especially when it's free to play.

Just started playing the game, with the 400 eternal shards new players get, I managed to get a Ghost Rider unlock, been playing that before I decide what other starting class I want (leaning towards Ironman, but was playing Widow).

i should drop back into it again. i'm big on ranged classes so hawkeye was a nobrainer.. i'll mess with it this week, and see how it works out. do love me some marvel tho.

Just started playing the game, with the 400 eternal shards new players get, I managed to get a Ghost Rider unlock, been playing that before I decide what other starting class I want (leaning towards Ironman, but was playing Widow).

GR is one of the expensive toons, so I haven't tried that one yet.
Widow is super fun IMO and so it IronMan. Also, you do get to try all free heroes up to level 10, so if you are undecided, you might as well take your time ;)

i should drop back into it again. i'm big on ranged classes so hawkeye was a nobrainer.. i'll mess with it this week, and see how it works out. do love me some marvel tho.

I started with Hawkeye too, and I wasn't a big fan. Cyclops and IronMan are "ranged" too per say, and they are a lot more fun IMO.

Remember you get to try all free toons to level 10, so don't be afraid to explore.

On day 2, you get 400 splinters, which allow you to unlock a "paid" hero for free (except for a few who cost 600: Spiderman, Dr Strange, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, Rogue, and maybe others but that's all I can remember for now)...

You need the 4mb ram cart to play it properly. One of those cheap 4 in 1 carts works well.

Just for clarification, the Ghost Rider unlock I got earlier was bought with the random heros pack rather than choosing specific hero, so I got lucky that I got a 600 shard character for the cost of 175 :p

I stumbled across a feature article in PC Gamer for this in one of my old 2013 mags....

Def been on my list of "to play" etc.

Get Cyclops for one of your first guys. He has a synergy that gives +10% xp. Makes leveling up every hero afterwards a bit easier and he has an ability that gives him extra xp so its really easy to level him up.

Its a fun game and since it is completely free I see no reason not to recommend it to people. If you like ARPGs give it a try. The award for most improved game of 2014 is well deserved. LoL and MH 2015 are both games that show how to do F2P the right way with out nickel and diming the players.

Just for clarification, the Ghost Rider unlock I got earlier was bought with the random heros pack rather than choosing specific hero, so I got lucky that I got a 600 shard character for the cost of 175 :p

Nice, you indeed got lucky! :)

It is true that the fact that your hero doesn't change appearance bothers people somewhat.
however, I never thought your appearance change in these types of games were really cool either...barely see anything...

Create your own hero in the Marvel universe would be kinda like DCUO, and it wasn't all that cool IMO to make your own hero. It was the same with City of Heroes /Champions online, it was cool at first, you make a bunch of alts, but in the end it's just meh...

Now, if you play as Iron Man or Magneto or Dr Doom, that is where the fun is at!

Not quite sure what was so "meh" about CoH.

Yeah, Champions Online only really has a single leveling path (outside of "raid incessantly").

But CoH had a dozen or more character classes, with dozens of powerset combinations with the ability to get ridiculously complex with a character build.

And they had years and years of content built up.

Sure, if you were anal, you could play it all. But there was still the ability to have clearly defined character arcs that were more or less unique to each character in the game.

I might have to give this a try. I loved the CoH, but it got boring so fast. Community was also crap.

Not quite sure what was so "meh" about CoH.

Yeah, Champions Online only really has a single leveling path (outside of "raid incessantly").

But CoH had a dozen or more character classes, with dozens of powerset combinations with the ability to get ridiculously complex with a character build.

And they had years and years of content built up.

Sure, if you were anal, you could play it all. But there was still the ability to have clearly defined character arcs that were more or less unique to each character in the game.

Different strokes...I thought it was boring and ultimately very MMO, something a ARPG does less well IMO. To me it isn't about uniqueness or customizability, it's about fun.

MH is fun as hell, where COH got stale real fast...again...IMO
Seriously, I think I spent more time creating toons in COH than actually playing the game...

For those interested, Dr Doom is about to be released as the newest playable character any day now...

My problem is you get too much loot in this game. Normally that isn't a problem but I'm picking up so much stuff it's hard to sort through it all and figure out what's best. I just went out to midtown and got like 7 midtown crates that all spawn items for your hero. My inventory was FULL after opening 3 of them. TOO MUCH LOOT

My problem is you get too much loot in this game. Normally that isn't a problem but I'm picking up so much stuff it's hard to sort through it all and figure out what's best. I just went out to midtown and got like 7 midtown crates that all spawn items for your hero. My inventory was FULL after opening 3 of them. TOO MUCH LOOT

HAHAH I hear you! With time, it will be easier to know what to do with everything you pick up. It will get easier :)

This game was fun for about a month but I burned out on it fast. All arpgs are repetitive, but this game just bored me to death. Basically all there is to do is power level one hero after the other. There's no challenge whatsoever unless you're doing raids and those were fun for about a day. This game is like the exact polar opposite of PoE, its way too easy, drops WAY too much loot, and its absolutely got p2w built in. The fact that there are things in the game you flat out cannot get without buying their trading card packs is reason enough, but there is a shitload of perks you can buy. Everything from xp/damage/money/drop % increases, to flat out buying crates of loot. So yeah, you absolutely can pay for an advantage. A huge advantage. Its worth a spin, its a decently fun game, but its pretty shallow IMO.

This game was fun for about a month but I burned out on it fast. All arpgs are repetitive, but this game just bored me to death. Basically all there is to do is power level one hero after the other. There's no challenge whatsoever unless you're doing raids and those were fun for about a day. This game is like the exact polar opposite of PoE, its way too easy, drops WAY too much loot, and its absolutely got p2w built in. The fact that there are things in the game you flat out cannot get without buying their trading card packs is reason enough, but there is a shitload of perks you can buy. Everything from xp/damage/money/drop % increases, to flat out buying crates of loot. So yeah, you absolutely can pay for an advantage. A huge advantage. Its worth a spin, its a decently fun game, but its pretty shallow IMO.

I have to disagree with your take on the game. Especially the p2w aspect. Half my roster was earned using their in game currency at a substantially cheaper rate than what it would have cost because I was able to use cheap random hero tokens. The *bonuses* you can buy can also be bought in game using dailies or other avenues. Not to mention leveling other characters give you powerful synergies and bonus xp that caps at 200%. Its because of this 200% bonus that I don't even use boosts except for loot and only when they run events. Not that you need them because the loot is so over the top anyways. The ability to now buy stash space with in game currency was the last pay wall there was. I will not deny that it sucked. It was a legitimate pay wall, but is in the process of going out the door. There were several guides on how to live with it though. Lets also not forget the numerous giveaways they do constantly for fee boosts and such. Free costumes occasionally and even gave a stash spot for their 1 year anniversary. As for fortune cards, only a handful of those costumes are exclusive and I mean less than 10% of the costumes in the game and even then they are still obtainable for free with some luck and a lot of work.

The end game can be reached so many different ways you don't have to raid if you like but still acquire the same gear through crafting. With the new Danger Room system coming it has the most complete endgame feature set of any ARPG out there.

From a challenge stand point? I've never played an ARPG that was *challenging* except the first times through HC mode because you didn't know the game at that stage. The raiding is absolutely challenging if you don't have the gear or know the mechanics. Gets to easy? Step up to raid difficulty. Oh its easy again. Enter a new raid they released. The only other ARPG releasing content like them is PoE but they don't do it at the pace Marvel Heroes does.

That's cool, you played a game and had fun for a month before being bored from it. Also, the game was free. What's the issue? :D

2nd anniversary kicked off yesterday, with a bunch of free shit and changes. Check it out!

I believe I checked out MH back in 2014 when I saw a post on the D3 forums saying how much it had been improved and how awesome it was; they seem to encourage their player base to go out sing its praises every now and again.

So I checked it out and wasn't impressed with a lot of stuff. I found the tilesets to be bland, boring, and repetitive (often actual colored tiles). The enemies were dudes with rocket launchers that would walk up and shoot me in the face point blank but do no damage (I guess kind of in the super hero vs ubiquitous henchmen theme?) and it was just overall very unimpressive as far as production level/atmosphere went.

So I guess now it's 2015 and this game is again "much improved" but the game just never hooked me in any way.

Sounds like you played before they re-branded and if thats the case you did miss out on a lot.

I believe I checked out MH back in 2014 when I saw a post on the D3 forums saying how much it had been improved and how awesome it was; they seem to encourage their player base to go out sing its praises every now and again.

So I checked it out and wasn't impressed with a lot of stuff. I found the tilesets to be bland, boring, and repetitive (often actual colored tiles). The enemies were dudes with rocket launchers that would walk up and shoot me in the face point blank but do no damage (I guess kind of in the super hero vs ubiquitous henchmen theme?) and it was just overall very unimpressive as far as production level/atmosphere went.

So I guess now it's 2015 and this game is again "much improved" but the game just never hooked me in any way.

Same here. It never hooked me either until I tried it again 4 weeks ago...

Back