Marks on all 4 corners of CPU and scratches on outside heatsink?

rpav

n00b
Okay, today can't get any worse. I was puting in my brand spankin', shiny Venice 3000+ with stock heatsink in a motherboard and put small amount of Arctic Silver 5 and such. Then while I was clamping the heatsink down, it seemed to have to much pressure, but I got it finally. Well, It sat like that for a few hours and I decide to order a better board (Epox 9D**3J(forgot), so I never ran the CPU yet.
Well, then I took the heatsink off (was a little tough) and cleaned it with the proper solution, then I look on the heatsink and it had some scratch marks on the exact shape of the outside of the CPU, but I can't feel them when I touch it. And the CPU has some marks on all four corners of it(the pins are in perfect shape on other side). But then my heart skipped a few beats and I'm just like &%@*%!. I would hate to say it but the marks on the CPU seem a little indented but not really able to feel it.
Does anyone have any experience with what happen with such a case?

Okay thanks for your expertise response Eclipse, it will make my day go better. I'm working right now, but in about 2 hours I will have pictures posted in this thread.
One more question: Could there be any problems with the CPU heat related if its in such a condition with the corners?

it should be ok, though i'd be more concerened that something is making scratches in the first place.
remember that the cpu die is in the center, thus 75-80% of the heat transfers through the middle region of the heatspreader, and minor scratches don't do toooooo much to temps :p

Yeah, A64's have pretty high retention to make good contact with the heatspreader....and the core is in the middle underneath that so you want to keep that part as problem free as possibble. ;) Outside areas, not so much.

If when you removed the heat sink you got the impression the sink and CPU were sort of stuck together, well, that’s as it should be.

If the AS-5 was “smooshed” into a circle about the size and shape of a quarter or slightly smaller, well, that’s good too.

Everything else being equal a few small marks are fine and normal. I too think you are fine and shouldn’t worry, but as was said post a pict.

Luck

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Yeah, the middle of the CPU looked perfect as far as I could tell. I'm curious on the structure of the AMD CPU, because older ones have a very small metal surface (like if you look on Arcticsilver's site with their instructions on applying thermal paste with pics of CPU's). The new one's must have covered up the whole thing, but yet have the middle with the main part.

here's some pictoral examples of what it looks like under the heatspreader.

my clawhammer. the largest cpu die and has produced, aside from the upcoming X2 dual core cpu's ;)
core.JPG

and here's how much contact it takes up on the bottom on the heatspreader
heatspreader.JPG

for comparison, your cpu core is a bit smaller than the one on the right in this picture. :D
(shows how big clawhammer is pretty well too)
size.JPG

(cf)Eclipse said:
<snip>for comparison, your cpu core is a bit smaller than the one on the right in this picture. :D
(shows how big clawhammer is pretty well too)
size.JPG

Not to mention the one on the right is probably still under warranty and the one on the left, well…………………not so much so ;)

yes, the one on the left is DEFINITLY out of warrantee. taking a knife and sandpaper to it probably didn't help much. sometimes i wonder what would happen if i tried to send it back and be like "the heatspreader popped off after i tried to do a 2.7ghz run at 1.85v! OMGZORS!!!11oneoneeleven I DEMAND A NEW CPU!"

:D

(cf)Eclipse said:
yes, the one on the left is DEFINITLY out of warrantee. taking a knife and sandpaper to it probably didn't help much. sometimes i wonder what would happen if i tried to send it back and be like "the heatspreader popped off after i tried to do a 2.7ghz run at 1.85v! OMGZORS!!!11oneoneeleven I DEMAND A NEW CPU!"

:D

Now you're thinking. That's an idea!

But yeah I bet it's just fine. If it's just the corners there shouldn't be a significant change (If any) in the temperature. Nothing real big, since as previously mentioned the majority of heat is in the center, although they don't call it a heatspreader for nothing.

1) lmfao

2) Don't worry, that happened to me too. The clamp mecahnism actually carved an impression of my CPU onto the bottom of my (1500grit lapped) copper heatsink. It happens, no big deal :cool:

last i checked, it works 100%, that was about 2 weeks ago, before i swapped in the newark.

as a general rule of thumb though, do not take anything abrasive to the cpu surface :p

Ok, here's the pictures: The "d" or music notes shaped thing on the CPU is just a scuff mark, but just the corners look a little pressed.

my.php

yeah, that's on the verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry edge, i wouldn't worry about it. it is curious that your heatspreader is doing that though.. just because i'm me, i'd probably sand both down to a mirror finish.. but that takes some time and warrantee voiding :p

That looks fine, my heatsink looks like that too. Odd thing is though, why would it put an imprint on the heatspreader of the CPU? Is the bottom of the heatsink that uneven? Have you tried lapping it?

I'm considering lapping the heatsink, but when I get my Epox motherboard in Monday, I'm going to test everything out and see what temps it gets. Then I'm going to start overclocking after that. If everything's fine, then I'll leave it.
I'm not sure why the impression marks are on there, I think it might have been from the pressure I was using to clamp down the heatsink. Also I think the lever thingy for the CPU holder on the mobo was not fully down. :(

The marks are caused by a concave IHS. I know this from experience. My 3200+ winnie was the same way. Naturally, I yanked that sorry IHS off of her! My temps dropped 7*c in the process.

I know I'll probably catch some crap for what I'm about to say but here goes. After my debacle with my IHS, I went to Micro Center to look at other A64's. I noticed that the corners of the IHS on the FX series were more rounded, like they had spent extra time to ensure a flat surface. Not so on the lower speed A64's. I looked at 3000's and 3200's, all of them had sharp corners, obviously from the IHS blanking machine.

Seems a little extra lovin is given to the more costly cpu's. :eek:

makes sense. my 3200+'s heatspreader was pretty curved too.. until i lapped it :p

this is a little off-topic, but why is it that everybody else can take pics of their cpu's and have the numbers and writing come out? Mine just doesn't do that... :(

EhJayKim said:
this is a little off-topic, but why is it that everybody else can take pics of their cpu's and have the numbers and writing come out? Mine just doesn't do that... :(
Also use marcro shot and have a steady hand :cool:

Back