Marissa Mayer Will Leave Yahoo with a $23-Million Golden Parachute

Problem was she could not delegate. They said she was micromanaging down to personally approving or denying every single hire/resume in the entire company.

So what that tells me is she wasn't doing her job.

I still remember reading about her when she first got the gig over an experienced fellow CEO who ran a successful business. The board of directors choose her despite the fact that the other guy was giving very detailed plans and presentation on how he will steer the company towards the media and content business.

There was definitely some insider deal that went on for them to choose her out of the blue.

I still remember reading about her when she first got the gig over an experienced fellow CEO who ran a successful business. The board of directors choose her despite the fact that the other guy was giving very detailed plans and presentation on how he will steer the company towards the media and content business.

There was definitely some insider deal that went on for them to choose her out of the blue.

Someone got laid!

CEO departure pay especially when you set fire to the companies reputation on the way out, just baffles me.

I still can't believe you can get paid multimillion dollars to get fired for doing a shitty job for a company....why can't i be a CEO and drive a company into the ground and get paid $20+ million to leave....

Get good enough to be hired as a CEO then you can!

Problem was she could not delegate. They said she was micromanaging down to personally approving or denying every single hire/resume in the entire company.

Would you expect anything less she inherited a sinking ship.

You don't jump on board and let things continue as is her job was to stop the bleeding and make it a good acquisition target which I believe she accomplished.

I know its popular to hate on ceo's for the money they make but any one of you would do the same in her shoes!

I know its popular to hate on ceo's for the money they make but any one of you would do the same in her shoes!
You're right, I would take 23 million as severance pay. It's almost as if we're criticizing the system itself.

That system won't change in our life times so its wasted energy.

Its like complaining about paying taxes its totally out of your control.

Would you expect anything less she inherited a sinking ship.

You don't jump on board and let things continue as is her job was to stop the bleeding and make it a good acquisition target which I believe she accomplished.

Yahoo's biggest problem was trying to be something for everyone. They would buy companies, put out a product and then do little to no promotion about them only to close them a year or two later. She kept that going, buying 53 companies over the last four years in the name of buying talent. Then she drove most of that talent and her best employees off by requiring everyone in management to have a four year degree, instituting Stack Ranking at a time where other tech companies saw the light and was getting rid of it. And don't get me started on the alleged gender discrimination which resulted in upper management going from 20% female to 80% female in a years time.

What they needed was someone to give them focus. In reality she just accelerated the burn by around $3 billion. Who knows if anyone could have done it better but she definitely didn't stop the bleeding.

Why are we all arguing about how a company chooses to pay for her employee? It's not like she was breaking the law and thereby driving the company into the ground, embezzling from it or being a bank....

It's like you watching someone else drinking coffee and you complain their coffee being too hot...

Yahoo's biggest problem was trying to be something for everyone. They would buy companies, put out a product and then do little to no promotion about them only to close them a year or two later. She kept that going, buying 53 companies over the last four years in the name of buying talent. Then she drove most of that talent and her best employees off by requiring everyone in management to have a four year degree, instituting Stack Ranking at a time where other tech companies saw the light and was getting rid of it. And don't get me started on the alleged gender discrimination which resulted in upper management going from 20% female to 80% female in a years time.

What they needed was someone to give them focus. In reality she just accelerated the burn by around $3 billion. Who knows if anyone could have done it better but she definitely didn't stop the bleeding.

Very informative post thank you.

That system won't change in our life times so its wasted energy.

Its like complaining about paying taxes its totally out of your control.
What are you talking about, I thought forum posts solved all the world's problems.

Tell me again about patriarchy and the wage gap.

I would love to talk about it but since we just have a single data point in this conversation, I don't feel like it would be a very good discussion.

Back