Mario Using The Unreal Engine 4

Is that Mario in the Unreal engine, or Mario animations with an underlay of the Unreal engine?

*Throws money at screen*

I remember the day a friend called me bragging about having just bought Mario 64 when it released. My response was that my PC games looked better. In my head though, I knew I really freaking wanted to play games like Mario Kart and knew I couldn't on my PC. Seeing Mario on the Unreal engine makes me giddy. Too bad we all know Nintendo wants us to buy a Wii.

Nintendo should make this and a console without a gimmicky controller. Would be the first Nintendo console I've owned since the N64.

if nintendo went for this style of graphics i'd buy a wii u immediately. i hate the cheap plastic-like look of the new mario bros and mario 3d on wii and wii u respectively.

2:51 was an amazing soundtrack.

N64 Mario was revolutionary to me back then.
It sold me on a N64 and this if Nintendo ever did will sell me on a console for the first time since 2009.

Really? You liked this? Mario in an amazingly glossy plastic shiny generic enviroment? Instead of the colorful playground that is currently present in all mario games?

Of course Nintendo would never do that, it would simply be a stupid move. We have enough such games, there was a time that not everything was shiny like it was made out of vaseline and colors popped out of the screen like happy rainbow drops.

Mario is fine the way it is, this video seriously lacks taste.

As expected... not a single toilet for this plumber....

I thought it looked really cool, but they'd have to adapt Mario, because he looked too cartoony in those environments, and he had a weird white outline or whatnot in the cartoony land.

Really? You liked this? Mario in an amazingly glossy plastic shiny generic enviroment? Instead of the colorful playground that is currently present in all mario games?

Of course Nintendo would never do that, it would simply be a stupid move. We have enough such games, there was a time that not everything was shiny like it was made out of vaseline and colors popped out of the screen like happy rainbow drops.

You wouldn't be able to make the video, that's for sure

Weird looking. The mario character just looks out of place in the video, in the realistic scenes he looks too cartoony and in the second scene he looks too 3d for it. Kinda reminds me of the Roger Rabbit movie, similar kind of out of place look.

This is why graphics are important. While this demo utilized existing assets from the UE4 devkit, it gives you a glimpse of just how amazing and polished mario *could* be in the hands of Nintendo artists. Nintendo obviously knows all about gameplay, but I think they shun graphics far too much thinking it's really nothing more than a vehicle to drive the game. Imagine if they just remade Super Mario World using UE4 in a totally 3d world like Mario64.

You wouldn't be able to make the video, that's for sure

My friend I may not be able to produce this video, or I may be able to produce it. Is it relevant?

So, when you go and see a movie you wait until you are able to direct it yourself before you express your oppinion?

Your logic is not logical at all.

Either way, I just don't like this style for Mario. It seems ugly to me.

Either way, I just don't like this style for Mario. It seems ugly to me.

Don't worry, with the way Nintendo does their hardware it will be 10 years before they have a console capable of rendering that anyways. :)

It looks nice, but knowing Nintendo they will not allow this to happen, and there is no way in hell Mario games will come out on PC and I doubt their console will have the horsepower to render graphics such as the video shown here.

I agree. While it was a cool demo in a tech-demo sort of way, it had none of the artistic character that makes a Mario game a Mario game. (or even a Nintendo game a Nintendo game...) It was cool looking enough, just not anywhere near what a Mario game should actually be. Also, Princess Peach wouldn't be caught dead in that castle. :p

A $170 dollar tablet controller and a $150 console. Enough said. Nintendo you messed up.

A $170 dollar tablet controller and a $150 console. Enough said. Nintendo you messed up.

Is that why they have pretty much the only compelling games on consoles right now that can't also be had on another platform? You don't have to like their games, but there is no denying the level of quality they put out. The controller is also quite functional, and anyone who hasn't used one pretty extensively wouldn't know either way. Besides, how does that have anything to do with this topic?

I agree. While it was a cool demo in a tech-demo sort of way, it had none of the artistic character that makes a Mario game a Mario game. (or even a Nintendo game a Nintendo game...) It was cool looking enough, just not anywhere near what a Mario game should actually be. Also, Princess Peach wouldn't be caught dead in that castle. :p

Yup. Mario is the colorful, cartoon world (even if it's all paper!). Throwing him in that one feels wrong. Lots of other possibilities, but with Mario - no. Wouldn't work. Looks great, and I'd like to play it. Just wouldn't be a real Mario game.

First, i own about 10 games on the Wii U and i enjoy it. However, they're out of touch with what the consumer wants.

First, i own about 10 games on the Wii U and i enjoy it. However, they're out of touch with what the consumer wants.

Maybe the consumer doesn't know what he wants. :p

Joking.

Yeah, I do see some of that with them, but on the other hand, they're the only ones not totally playing it safe, and trying out new things. Some of them stick, some of them don't. I think the Wii U is a bit in between the two honestly, but it's the only console that I get any use out of right now other than my N3DS. Otherwise I'm all PC right now. Honestly, I don't mind the situation at all. PC/Wii-U is a perfect combo IMO.

Anyway, yeah, they should listen a little more, but at the same time if they listened to the loud-mouthed complainers, we'd basically have a third console identical to XBOne and PS4 that was full of mediocre ports of third party games, and less of what makes Nintendo special.

Yup. Mario is the colorful, cartoon world (even if it's all paper!). Throwing him in that one feels wrong. Lots of other possibilities, but with Mario - no. Wouldn't work. Looks great, and I'd like to play it. Just wouldn't be a real Mario game.

Yeah, I would actually love to see a new Zelda game along the OoT and TP lines on a new shiny engine. I'm excited for the new Zelda, and love the artistic direction they went, (love WW for the same reason) but would still love to see a slightly grittier more realistic world like the Ocarina series.

felipe-gonzalez-felipe3dartist-super-mario-berracus-vs-piranha-plant-final3.jpg

Back