Mario Kart = drugs

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
I was a Mario Kart virgin until last weekend when I played the Wii version. My brother-in-law played for three or four hours that night. I thought about it all week. Today I have the day off and house full of console and PC games and I've spent hours playing MK 7 on my 3DS, racing against people from around the world. I'm awful but man is it fun.

After all the years of hearing about the popularity of this game, I finally get it. It's like freaking crack. :D

Maybe later today I'll actually play The Last of Us again. Or maybe I'll just keep racing...

Mario Kart is the bomb. Had a shit ton of fun on game cube back in the day. Nothing beats 4 man split screen mario kart lol

the first mario kart was the only serious one that I know of. the rest have cheating AI, cheater weapons, and cartoon controls. it stopped being about racing, and became clowning around

You've never played Super Mario Kart?

Fuck, I'm getting old.

Dude, I'm 40. I just never cared for racing or driving games. The last racing game that I played with any interest was Accolade's Test Drive on the Commodore 64. I always enjoyed driving games in arcade with pedals and a steering wheel but was always underwhelmed driving with a gamepad or joystick. I'm just weird that way. :)

I want to try Smash Bros. next...never played it either. The vast majority of my gaming "career" has been spent with RPGs. Now that I'm in WoW detox, I'm trying to expand my interests. There's so much good stuff out there that I've yet to experience.

give Sonic and All Stars: Racing Transformed a try. It's the best Kart racer I've played since Mario Kart: Double Dash.

give Sonic and All Stars: Racing Transformed a try. It's the best Kart racer I've played since Mario Kart: Double Dash.

I have that one as well, it's pretty fun. My wife prefers Mario Kart 64 over it though, at least she says she does and seems to have more fun.

If you want Forza meets Mario Kart, grab blur. That one isn't half bad either, I've got it on 360.

For the most part we've been playing TMNT, SMK, MK64 and Battletoads for some multi-player party fun this past week. :)

was good until the Wii version when the made the items like position dynamic and added cheap ass stuff like the spike shell and what not. Took all the skill out of it. I think the N64 one is the best one to date.

was good until the Wii version when the made the items like position dynamic and added cheap ass stuff like the spike shell and what not. Took all the skill out of it. I think the N64 one is the best one to date.

Do you mean the blue spike shell? That first came into play on the N64. I don't know on the other stuff though.

Yeah the Blue Spike Shell is pretty retarded. I think its fine for single player (as it makes the game harder), but it shouldn't be in multiplayer.

Yeah I hate getting hit by it, it's not all that often when we play. Even when I lose I still have a ton of fun anyway, so I never really cared too much. :)

Blur is fun but the online is deaaaad

I've always preferred local MP over online. Which is one thing that current gen consoles piss me off for. Not enough local MP action... Online is great as well, however I wish they would not strip local MP out, because bonding with friends in person is still important to me.

I was heartbroken when I bought SSX and it only had asynchronous online MP. I was like WTF!? If I'm not mistaken, they've since added online live MP and not just that async crap. But seriously, so many current games are missing so much. :( I don't even have it anymore, I think I put it in a yard sale for $5 bucks a couple weeks after I paid $30 for it (expecting local MP, because these games have always had it, I was surprised as fuck that it didn't). Same thing happened with Skate 3... They've taken people out of gaming and gone internet-only with it.

The original one is definitely the one that favored skill the most...mainly because the shields weren't around yet, the blue shells weren't there, and lightning only showed up once in a blue moon. At the same time, the faster karts like Bowser and DK were borderline too good as a result. Once they got a lead, you couldn't catch them without a mistake.

MK64 was the screwiest of the bunch, but also potentially the most fun. Still, that one borderline required "house rules" to play. There were several glitchy shortcuts, you could camp with shell shields in the lead, and lightning was exploitable to guarantee a win on several tracks. Still, it was so much fun. Once you got good enough, the AI might as well not even be there. The best tricks involved using the AI to screw someone over so that they finished in 4th instead of second.

Or on Project64 for $0.

I've got that on my HTPC, works well, just not as convenient IMO. Which is why I bought the OUYA in the first place; convenience. Well that and some indie action.

I was a Mario Kart virgin until last weekend when I played the Wii version. My brother-in-law played for three or four hours that night. I thought about it all week. Today I have the day off and house full of console and PC games and I've spent hours playing MK 7 on my 3DS, racing against people from around the world. I'm awful but man is it fun.

After all the years of hearing about the popularity of this game, I finally get it. It's like freaking crack. :D

Maybe later today I'll actually play The Last of Us again. Or maybe I'll just keep racing...

Get a Super Nintendo and get the original Mario Kart. Still so much fun, despite its age. :)

Yeah the Blue Spike Shell is pretty retarded. I think its fine for single player (as it makes the game harder), but it shouldn't be in multiplayer.

You can always just eat for health I think... or am I wrong.....

I've always liked the highway track on the N64 version. I think the other vehicles made it a lot more random and fun. I'd love to see it remastered. I'm looking forward to the Wii U version of the game, but I never got the Wii version of it.

Crash Team Racing for PS1 is also a fantastic cart racing game. I grew up on Mario Cart on the SNES, CTR was a great step up. Much more fun than Mario Cart 64 IMO.

Mario Kart Wii is by far the weakest entry in the series. The most unbalanced racer ever.

Very much true. Not only are the bikes simply better than the karts, the best bike in the game (the Spear) is designed to be used with automatic steering instead of manual. It's brainless, and you can still wheelie all day.
That game was so great on paper, but the discrepancy between the vehicles ruined it.
Much like MK64, we have enacted "house rules" that disallow automatic steering and you're only allowed to race karts vs. karts and bikes vs. bikes.

On the plus side, the 3DS version of the game has many of the better Wii tracks and is a more competitive game.

I have a lot of love for MK: Double Dash on the Gamecube

My wife likes that one a lot. The lack of a jumping mechanic (it's instead just a slide) always threw me off. Still, the fact that the different characters were VERY different made that one unique. In terms of pure skill, it's up there with the portable versions.

I'm guessing it's because they were designed with online in mind, but the portable Mario Karts are the most competitive versions short of the original one.

My wife likes that one a lot. The lack of a jumping mechanic (it's instead just a slide) always threw me off. Still, the fact that the different characters were VERY different made that one unique. In terms of pure skill, it's up there with the portable versions.

I'm guessing it's because they were designed with online in mind, but the portable Mario Karts are the most competitive versions short of the original one.

In fact, the original DS version of Mario Kart was the first online capable game for the DS.

I'm really curious to see how the new Mario Kart handles online play. The portables do a pretty good job with it, and the WiiU's interface should lend itself toward having a fun/easy way to play with other people.
For me, this functionality (and the one with Smash) will make or break the WiiU.

Back