Marantz vs. Yamaha receiver

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
7,162
I'm helping a friend build an HTPC. He wants a good AV receiver in the $450 - $500 range. I suggested two Yamahas: RX-V861 and RX-V663. Anyone know how these models compare to a Marantz SR4003 or SR5002? I know Yamaha quite well but have no experience with Marantz, which is another very highly regarded brand.
 
You are comparing different sound sigs. Yamaha is neutral and slightly bright, Marantz is warm. Has he bought speakers yet? Buy the one that fits his preference and speakers.

I would prefer the Marantz because I like a warmer sound, but it's best if he hears both.
 
Go for Marantz, quality receivers, lots of power and your friend will not be dissappointed!!
 
He's got an x-series (original) 5.1 setup:

x-ls Fronts and Surrounds
x-cs Center
x-sub

Is there a huge audio difference between the Marantz SR6001 and SR5003? He can get a new SR6001 from Accessories4Less.com for $599 (refurb $549). A new SR5003 runs $799.
 
If He can afford the SR5003 He should think about getting it. It can support the DTS master audio and also can support 7.1 channel Linear PCM.
 
i have a marantz sr-7001 and i love it
 
Well, he decided to get the Yamaha.

I'm intrigued by that Marantz SR6001. Does anyone know if its got good DACs? Yamaha uses Burr Brown, which is quite good.
 
SR6001 uses some Crystal DAC not sure which one. Probably inferior to the Yamaha's as the rest of the electronics are worse. Like it only accepts 1080i input, not 1080p. Outputs 720-1080p though.
 
Back
Top