Mapping Network Drives with different credentials

bealzz

Gawd
Im working in windows xp and trying to connect to one of our servers in a different domain with an account that i have in that domina, yet everytime i try to map it, i get an error stating:

Code:
The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password.
To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.

I then press enter...

Code:
the mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not
 allowed.  Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

Now, I am in no way connected to the server and even after a reboot cannot get in still.
Im running SP2, but this error came up in SP1 also.

Thanks for your help guys if you can..
Bryan.

Does the other domain trust your home domain?

Go to a Command Prompt and do a "net use" and see what all your connections are.

Are you using fast user switching? If so, there could be another user logged in with the drives mapped. Also, are you sharing a username and password, either the one you are currently logged into XP with, or the account in the other domain? If so, that could be causing a problem as well. As noted, running the net use command could shed some light on the subject.

Tom

You can't do fast user switching when logging onto a domain. Unless that's changed with SP2.

In our situation it was occuring when computers on the same network that were not members of the domain were attempting to connect to a shared folder within the domain using credentials that were valid on the domain controller. It seems like it was only isolated to computers running XP Home edition (the server is Windows 2000 Server).

What we found was that, under Active Directory Users and Computers on the server, the XP Home computers weren't listed, so before it even attempted to validate the credentials, the server was rejecting the connection from the unknown computers. It is weird that it just started, though. After adding the Windows XP Home computer names to the list, we got the new message "Access Denied" and then remapped the share using the "Logon with a different username and password" using the 'domain/username' format.

Hope this helps someone!

The problem happens when you try to map the drive using creditials that don't work. The workstation still sees the session.

from command prompt type net use i bet you'll see a connection to that share.

do a net use /d \\server\share
and try with your alternate creditials.

ender1598 said:
You can't do fast user switching when logging onto a domain. Unless that's changed with SP2.

Not changed..the feature is disabled once you join the domain.

What shows in your list when you run "net use" at a command line before trying to connect to the share?

If you have any logon scripts or startup itemsthat connect to that server by UNC before you are trying to connect, your security token will aready be set.

If nothing shows in the connection list, try running "net use \\server\ipc$ /d", then try connecting again. That should reset all connections to the hidden pipe that is used for RPC communication to that server.

Back