mapping network drive across the internet

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
what ports do I need to open on my router to allow XP to map a drive across the internet.

IE.

\\222.111.222.111\computername\drivename\

I SERIOUSLY wouldn't recomend trying that. I don't even know if it would work, but if it did, it would be slow as heck I'm sure.

I need to look into it, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it if possible though. You do realize all the data would probably not be encrypted.

Im aware of the risks. Im not asking weather its a secure method.. Im asking how to do it.

Unless you can think of a better way to have a program access and continuseley access and write to a file across the internet from a server that is behind a router.

IE, trillian pulling log files from server.. or outlook reading mail file from server on a workstation machine.

Without going into crap like VPN's and all that trash. I want something nice and simple.

I am not sure exactly which ones they are, netstat might be able to help though.

huh? you post made no sense.

Lets try this again.

what ports does windows XP use to access mapped network drives.

I hate to be a party crasher, but this is not going to work reliably. smb is a terrible protocal to pipe over the internet, it's just too heavy for basic file access, and it doesn't deal well with latency.

I'm not sure I can suggest an alternative for you, but you might want to look into webdav, or even just a daily sync using something as simple as ftp. ( sftp, of course :p )

VPN is the only way, no way your isp let's netbios travel over the internet.

XOR != OR said:
I hate to be a party crasher, but this is not going to work reliably. smb is a terrible protocal to pipe over the internet, it's just too heavy for basic file access, and it doesn't deal well with latency.

I'm not sure I can suggest an alternative for you, but you might want to look into webdav, or even just a daily sync using something as simple as ftp. ( sftp, of course :p )

Search on NetBIOS ports you need to open and that will answer your question. But for the record I'm with XOR != OR...

...you also open yourself up to a host of problems by attempting this and would need to make sure your computer is SEVERELY locked down to prevent intrusion.

then can someone link to an easy to follow VPN setup guide.

Ive never done VPN of any sort so I would be new to it.

Back