Mapped Network Drives Not Available In Certain Applications

Can Anyone tell me what is up with the image below? Mapped network drives simply don't show up when browsing to a folder in some applications. This was not a problem until I upgraded to Windows 10.

Windows 10 x64
Core i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz
12 GB RAM
GTX 980

image url upload

Are you installing something?

Windows 7, 8 & 10 when installing things, don't have network paths shared between users. There are 2 ways to fix it. Either do a regiistry hack that allows users to share network paths; which is easier for a long term solution, or for a short term solution, run an elevated command prompt, and do a net use command to set up the mapped drive for the admin user, which is great for a quick add for an install.

Are you installing something?.

Nope, the example I took screenshots from was trying to select the folder where FRAPS saves screenshots. When I hit the "Change" button in FRAPS, the "Browse For Folder" window pops up and I don't see any of my mapped network drives in the list. Windows Explorer is shown to the left with all the mapped network drives connected (screenshot below).

It would be fine if I could just select the network location. Not sure of the correct terminology here, but the path starts with computer name, i.e. "//FILESEREVER/Pictures...", rather than a drive letter. But when I do that, FRAPS will inexplicably lose connection to that folder. FRAPS throws up an error message saying it can't find the folder even though I can see it just fine in Explorer.

Even weirder (maybe, I don't know at this point) is that drives K, Q, W, & N are actually local folders on drive D: that I mapped as network drives so I can do work at home while maintaining the network structure we have at the office.

I hope I am explaining the problem well enough. I have done a fair amount of googling for fixes and found nothing that helps. TIA

free image hosting

Along the lines of what Syran said, I would have thought it was that one program was running elevated and the other (or just File Explorer) was not. I've experienced that. However, I did a bit of searching and it seems there are other reason this could happen.

One suggestion I came across was this:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Property: EnableLinkedConnections
DWORD Value: 1

However, it sounds like the Browse for Folders dialog can be filtered to exclude network connections. I wouldn't think FRAPS would do this though:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2261826

In wouldn't be surprised if fraps didn't support writing to network shares because it needs to write the data as fast as possible.

It seems like the two apps are running with different tokens. I see a CD drive that's different in the pics, too. Instead of mapping the drive, try using subst. It will appear as a local drive and may not be filtered out.

In regards to terminology, what you were looking for is the UNC. \\compeuter\share\folder\file.name

I think ccman is on the right path. If you don't want to set that registry key, you could also try launching an elevated command prompt and map the drive with it to make sure it's available to an elevated app context.

Back