Mapped drive issue

Phandalyon

I am having some trouble with mapped drives on a network I am working on. The network consists of one Dell Server running Windows 2000 Server and 4 Dell workstations running Windows 2000 Professional. The problem is with only one of the workstations. Here it is:

The software they are using requires them to have a drive mapped on the computer. Specifically it has to be mapped as T drive. The problem is that immediately after I map a drive on this PC, it shows up in My computer as disconnected with the red X through it. I can open the drive and save/edit/open files without any issue. If I do a net use t: at the command prompt it tells me the drive is disconnected.

This is not a problem in Windows, but in the software they are using the error "This drive name is already in use" cones up every time they have to access the T: drive. They are then able to proceed with their work, but every time they access the drive it gives that error, which is very annoying. I am going to go back and take a look at it again tomorrow or monday and I am just dead out of ideas.

I tried rebooting the server and the workstation
I turned off the timeout on the mapped drives (on both computers just to be safe)
Tried mapping to an IP address instead of a name
Tried mapping a different directory

All of these have succeeded in the red X reappearing every time.

There is one other catch I should mention. If I disconnect the drive (either in My Computer or through the net command at the command prompt) and then reconnect the drive, it will show connected. I can access the drive all I want at the command prompt changing back and forth, copying files, etc.... The problem comes in when I go into my Computer and access the T: drive. The first time I access it it stays connected, but if I close the drive or hit the back button and then reopen the drive it instantly shows disconnected.

So [H] networkers, any sound advice for me? Did I miss something stupid?

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas? I am going back over there Monday to try some stuff. I am still scouring google and the MSKB until then, but I am running low on ideas.

If would say, just script it using a batch file and have it come up everytime a user logs in.

I know its ghetto and all, but we've had to do that with an old-school program that presented the same symptoms.

That should eliminate your "disconnected" issue.

Darthkim said:
If would say, just script it using a batch file and have it come up everytime a user logs in.

I know its ghetto and all, but we've had to do that with an old-school program that presented the same symptoms.

That should eliminate your "disconnected" issue.

I will give it a shot. But I am afraid that it will have the same problem. it will work fine the first time the folder is opened but it will error every time after that.

I will try it anyway though just to be sure.

try using /persistent:yes at the end of the net use command the syntax would be:

net use t: \\server\share /persistent:yes

. Also, check the event viewer on the server and workstations to see if anything's coming up.

Are the drives being mapped through group policy, or by using explorer?

ne0-reloaded said:
try using /persistent:yes at the end of the net use command the syntax would be:

net use t: \\server\share /persistent:yes

. Also, check the event viewer on the server and workstations to see if anything's coming up.

Are the drives being mapped through group policy, or by using explorer?

Drives are being mapped through explorer right now. I have not played much with group policy on these systems. I will double-check the event viewer as well. Thank you.

Phandalyon said:
Drives are being mapped through explorer right now. I have not played much with group policy on these systems. I will double-check the event viewer as well. Thank you.

I just added it to the machine policy. You could use GPO for those.

BTW, don't make them persistent (in this particular case) that is what caused the problem for us, to begin with.

I would just map it using the script, lose it during reboot. and re-map again.

try using group policy to map the drives then, if you have a domain, make a gpo and map it to the appropriate OU. if not, you can use local group policy to do the same thing. start>run>gpedit.msc to bring up the local group policy editor.

I think I will try the script first and if that has problems I will try using the persistent switch. I will probably end up trying it all. This is one of those weird things that no other computer on the network is doing. We shall see. Thanks for the tips guys.

OK, I went and tried everything this morning.

The script did not fix it. It would map fine but the first time the drive was accessed it would revert back to disconnected, same problem

Group policy is the same result.

Using the persistent switch is the same result.

Finally I ended up tricking the computer by setting up the drive with offline files enabled. So the software saw it as a totally local drive with local files, but since windows doesn't seem to be confused by the issue it keeps the server updated with all changes. The errors have gone away now. Glad there wasn't more than 1GB of data that needs to be accessed though. I set the offline files for a max 3GB so they shouldn't have issues for a long time.

What happens if you allow it to be cached? (It's in the properties of the folder on the server were it resides.)

Axman said:
What happens if you allow it to be cached? (It's in the properties of the folder on the server were it resides.)

I will try that next time I am over there. For now they are happy that it is not annoying them with error messages. I think that is basically what I have done though. At least the theory is the same.

Try through login script from the server?
What is IPCONFIG of a workstation? Suspect possible DNS quirks...no name resolution at attempt of mapping during logon.

I did try a script from the server with no change in the results.

I never did check the ipconfig though. Everything is dynamic so it shouldn't be a problem, but I will doublecheck it if I make it back over there soon.

Thanks.

Windows automatically disconnects mapped drives after 15 minutes, this is the default setting. It reconnects them as soon as they are accessed either via explorer or command shell and any applications that use standard win32 api functions. This can be changed using 'net config server' or by editing the registry

The key is called AutoDisconnect, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters].

The workaround msot people use is to set it at its maximum setting by doing 'net config server /autodisconnect:-1' but you can also change the registry key value to "ffffffff" which is maximum size of 4294967294 ( this is like 8 thousand years i think ). Using the net config server method can also alters browser announcement schedules which can cause other problems but on your most standard win networks nobody will notice.

Now the wierd part is this only affects some machines, mine included. I have no idea what contributing factors lead to this nor do i care enough to dig into it and narrow it down, I just know this has worked for me. I hope it helps you.

dustin said:
Windows automatically disconnects mapped drives after 15 minutes, this is the default setting. It reconnects them as soon as they are accessed either via explorer or command shell and any applications that use standard win32 api functions. This can be changed using 'net config server' or by editing the registry

The key is called AutoDisconnect, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters].

The workaround msot people use is to set it at its maximum setting by doing 'net config server /autodisconnect:-1' but you can also change the registry key value to "ffffffff" which is maximum size of 4294967294 ( this is like 8 thousand years i think ). Using the net config server method can also alters browser announcement schedules which can cause other problems but on your most standard win networks nobody will notice.

Now the wierd part is this only affects some machines, mine included. I have no idea what contributing factors lead to this nor do i care enough to dig into it and narrow it down, I just know this has worked for me. I hope it helps you.

took care of that before I even posted here. Thanks for the idea though.

The timeout for this drive is less than 15 seconds and it will not reconnect when you doubleclick the mapped drive. I appreciate all the input though.

What username/password are you using to connect to the server? Is it different than the local account the users have? What if you create a user account on the server with a password thats the same as their local workstation passwords?

If its not the same, are you telling windows to store the password (Checkbox to remember the password)?

Something tells me that its sending the wrong username/password information to the server at some point and losing the connection because of it.

Direwolf20 said:
What username/password are you using to connect to the server? Is it different than the local account the users have? What if you create a user account on the server with a password thats the same as their local workstation passwords?

If its not the same, are you telling windows to store the password (Checkbox to remember the password)?

Something tells me that its sending the wrong username/password information to the server at some point and losing the connection because of it.

user name and password are the same on the server and the workstation. I even doublechecked to make sure. We even changed the password on both to verify that it was working.

Lets back up a bit...because now that I see talk about the "account on the server" and "the local Windows account"...well, I assumed you were running a "domain"...and the server was actually a DC. In which case who the heck cares what the local accounts are because they don't come into play (at least normally).

So...is your server actually a full blown DC? You ran DCPROMO sometime way back when? Or is it just running as a stand alone server, pretty much just a Windows 2000 Pro rig?

Either way...I would think that if account credentials were not correct..you'd never get the share to open up in the first place.

I still think it's possibly a DNS issue. Can you post an IPCONFIG of one of the workstations? And in that post, specify the LAN IP address of the router, and server?

YeOldeStonecat said:
Lets back up a bit...because now that I see talk about the "account on the server" and "the local Windows account"...well, I assumed you were running a "domain"...and the server was actually a DC. In which case who the heck cares what the local accounts are because they don't come into play (at least normally).

So...is your server actually a full blown DC? You ran DCPROMO sometime way back when? Or is it just running as a stand alone server, pretty much just a Windows 2000 Pro rig?

Either way...I would think that if account credentials were not correct..you'd never get the share to open up in the first place.

I still think it's possibly a DNS issue. Can you post an IPCONFIG of one of the workstations? And in that post, specify the LAN IP address of the router, and server?

The server is actually running Windows 2000 Server, but it is not running as a Domain Controller. The network is technically peer to peer even though there is a real werver there. I will pull the IP Information to at least see what is going on. It can't hurt, thats for sure.

Just as an aside as well. There are 3 other computers on the network and they do not have any problem at all with mapped drives. It is isolated to the one computer that I have been working with.

Phandalyon said:
Just as an aside as well. There are 3 other computers on the network and they do not have any problem at all with mapped drives. It is isolated to the one computer that I have been working with.

Ahh gotcha. So it's to be treated as just a Windows 2000 Pro peer to peer network...since the 2K Server has not been promoted...it's basically just running as another Win2Kpro machine.

Just running TCP/IP across the network? Or other protocols mixed in? On TCP/IP, is enable netbios over TCP enabled? Windows is supposed to work it out on it's own..but we know things don't always work as intended..sometimes gotta kick it in the butt. Without a DC for DNS, resolution on peer to peers can get wonky once in a while. Many times it works fine..but now and then you'll come across some situations where it won't settle down, they can't decide on master browser, due to some history of the computers, various NIC drivers, etc..sometimes gotta cram in NetBEUI to help smooth things out.

I seem to recall a patch for the initial release of Win2Kpro...dealing with mapped drives getting a nice permanent red X. Thought one of the early service packs fixed that too...assuming all rigs are fully up to date on Winders updates?

And yes now that we confirmed a true peer to peer network environment....if you log onto WS 1 as joe with a password of b4n4na, make sure that exact user/pass is entered into the local users on the other machine...doing the sharing. And the share is properly shared to that computers local users.

Perhaps it is remembering an incorrect password for some reason. In windows XP, you can goto Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Choose the current account -> Manage my Network Passwords to view a list of passwords that windows is currently remembering for different network drives.

There should be something similiar for Win2K, sorry I don't have a box here to check that on :(.

Make sure windows isn't remembering anything for that IP address or computer name.

Also, are you mapping by IP address or PC name? If by PC name, use the IP address instead and see if that helps.

Also, try using a DIFFERENT username/password that what the current user is logged in as, so that you are forced to type it in when you map the drive, and tell it to remember it. See if that helps at all.

This wouldn't happen to be Finance Manger would it? :D

Anyhow, i would go to map a drive manually on the win2k workstation and make sure that the 'reconnect at logon' box is UNCHECKED, then run the drive mapping from the server login script. For example, this is the way it looks on my server:

net use t: \\SERVERNAME\FM2000 /y

I use a VBScript to map a drive, which has always worked for my one piece of annoying software who's programmers don't understand "Built in server->Client communication".

Code:
Dim strUser, strDevice, strUncPath, strPassword
Dim bUpdateProfile, bValidPassword
Dim objNetwork

Const LOGON_FAILURE = &h8007052E&

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strUser = "<USERNAME>"

strDevice = "T:"
strUncPath = "<IP ADDRESS>\<Folder>"
bUpdateProfile = False
bValidPassword = False

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

On Error Resume Next
Do
	strPassword = "<PASSWORD>"

objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDevice, strUncPath, _
		bUpdateProfile, strUser, strPassword
	strPassword = vbEmpty

Select Case Err.Number
		Case 0
			bValidPassword = True
		Case LOGON_FAILURE
			bValidPassword = False
			Err.Clear
			WScript.Echo "Logon failure: Invalid password." & _
				vbCrLf & "Please reenter password." & vbCrLf & _
				"(Note: Password is case sensitive.)"
		Case Else
			WScript.Echo "0x" & CStr(Hex(Err.Number)) & _
				": " & Err.Description
			WScript.Quit
	End Select

Loop While bValidPassword = False

This will unmap:

Code:
Dim strUser, strDevice, strUncPath, strPassword
Dim bUpdateProfile, bValidPassword
Dim objNetwork

Const LOGON_FAILURE = &h8007052E&

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "T:"

OK, I am posting this from the problem computer.

Ipconfig is:

IP: 10.0.0.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers (Qwest provides)

Ip for server is 10.0.0.200
Router IP is 10.0.0.1

I am working on trying a different account right now.

Nasty_Savage said:
This wouldn't happen to be Finance Manger would it? :D

Anyhow, i would go to map a drive manually on the win2k workstation and make sure that the 'reconnect at logon' box is UNCHECKED, then run the drive mapping from the server login script. For example, this is the way it looks on my server:

net use t: \\SERVERNAME\FM2000 /y

What is the /y switch?

The program is called Timberline Gold.

I have tried manually mapping the drive, but I have not used the /y switch. I will try it even though I can't find any information on it when I hit /?

Shit fucking Timberline, same app I have trouble with. Accounting insists on using it, apparently its the defacto standard for our industry. I have a support contract with them if you dont I can call in for you and see if they've a fix or something.

dustin said:
Shit fucking Timberline, same app I have trouble with. Accounting insists on using it, apparently its the defacto standard for our industry. I have a support contract with them if you dont I can call in for you and see if they've a fix or something.

We already called them and they just said it was a windows issue, not a Timberline one. You know, the usual tech support blowoff.

I take it you are in the Construction industry?

Yea I am. We'll we are construction\real estate in San Diego. Did you ever get the problem solved?

dustin said:
Yea I am. We'll we are construction\real estate in San Diego. Did you ever get the problem solved?

No. I think I might jut format the trouble computer eventually. But they just want to deal with it for now since it is just an annoyance and everything is still working.

Phandalyon said:
OK, I am posting this from the problem computer.

Ipconfig is:

IP: 10.0.0.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers (Qwest provides)

Ip for server is 10.0.0.200
Router IP is 10.0.0.1

I am working on trying a different account right now.

If your using a domain all clients should be pointing at the AD server for DNS not the ISP.

oakfan52 said:
If your using a domain all clients should be pointing at the AD server for DNS not the ISP.

NOt using a domain. It is essentially a peer-to-peer setup. Thanks though.

Back