Many problems already plagued by some US PSP units.

Vile said:
No one is doubting they earlier version had problems but they are not the only one guilty of this. X-Box' had issues as well.

You really don't know much of what you are talking about either.

Anyone can pull numbers of their ass like you did. Try actually backing your bogus claims instead of just spitting out random crap that's completely false.

I'm not a diehard fan of just one of the consoles, but rather have all of them (well, GC on the way) so I'm not just giving you my biased opinion. I wonder if you can say the same though.

:rolleyes:

Do a search through any search engine for "Playstation manufacturing series" and see how many hundreds of millions of links you get.

Sorry, but you're delusional if you think that the PS2/PSX architecture was well manufactured. I've yet to see you refute my claims with your own sources, so spare us the hypocrisy. Do your own research. The SCPH-30001 is the most notorious for the dirty-disk errors, but every single version has seen a multitude of complaints from consumers for the very same reason. Anyone with any semblance of memory who has followed consumer reports/feedback since the release of the system has seen a multitude of similar complaints with each revision. There have been problems ranging from voltage regulation to mounting brackets to poor laser technology. The 90% joke was intended as hyperbole, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. The issues only arise when the consoles are used quite often, and the demographic supporting Sony is casual (Meaning they don't play as much, hence they won't realize there is a problem until later).

I have all three consoles as well. Out of the three, the Gamecube is the only one I bought at launch. It's also the one I'm the most disappointed with. Insenuating that I am biased against Sony is ridiculous, especially when considering that you can see me supporting them a few threads down in regards to the recently released PSP software.

People like you are the reason that the problem has been ignored over the years. You outright defend them instead of holding them accountable for their cost-cutting mistakes.

solution: simply wait for the units to arrive at retail stores that allow you to return for any reason. The problem really only affects those who can not wait and must preorder from whoever they can find them in stock. Not saying it's the customers fault, it is a dumb move by sony but there is still a way around it.

WickedAngel said:

Do a search through any search engine for "Playstation manufacturing series" and see how many hundreds of millions of links you get.

Sorry, but you're delusional if you think that the PS2/PSX architecture was well manufactured. I've yet to see you refute my claims with your own sources, so spare us the hypocrisy. Do your own research. The SCPH-30001 is the most notorious for the dirty-disk errors, but every single version has seen a multitude of complaints from consumers for the very same reason. Anyone with any semblance of memory who has followed consumer reports/feedback since the release of the system has seen a multitude of similar complaints with each revision. There have been problems ranging from voltage regulation to mounting brackets to poor laser technology. The 90% joke was intended as hyperbole, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. The issues only arise when the consoles are used quite often, and the demographic supporting Sony is casual (Meaning they don't play as much, hence they won't realize there is a problem until later).

I have all three consoles as well. Out of the three, the Gamecube is the only one I bought at launch. It's also the one I'm the most disappointed with. Insenuating that I am biased against Sony is ridiculous, especially when considering that you can see me supporting them a few threads down in regards to the recently released PSP software.

People like you are the reason that the problem has been ignored over the years. You outright defend them instead of holding them accountable for their cost-cutting mistakes.

I was referring to the sales. Take your own advice and google for that.

And no one is ignoring or excusing the issue but the solution is very simple, as stated above - wait. This should be especially easy for you since you set against them so much, so instead of just ranting about them wait.
Well manufactured? Did I say that? Even if I did, would anyone assume all of them are?
Putting words in my mouth and jacking up the numbers with your so called facts doesn't help your case any.

People like you are the reason others have these lame console vs console arguments to begin with. Instead of trying to have a reasonable conversation, you make up crap and try to convince people with your bogus "facts"

Well there is already a HardOCP member who had to return their PSP because 10+ dead pixels .... well manufactoured ... you tell me.

God damn both of you just shut up.

This thread is about the PSP.

You want to talk about PS2? Go create a thread for that.

- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
- Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
- USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
- Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
- Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
- PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
- UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
- Bubbles on screen (defect)
- Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
- Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
- Broken Analog nub (defect)

Um... source? If the lower quality screen thing is true, that may explain the reports of dead pixels so far.

Damn, $250 bucks for a deffective unit is a bit pricey for me. I'll stick with a laptop + PS2.

I had to return mine this morning. 20 minutes into playing Ridge Racer the buttons on the right side gave out. Exchanged it for another today and everything is great! What an awesome piece of hardware.

WickedAngel, I don't see why people are all on your back over this 90% number. It makes sense to me. I construed it as you saying that 90% of the revisions had problems, not 90% of all units sold. Am I wrong here?

SoulFlow said:
I had to return mine this morning. 20 minutes into playing Ridge Racer the buttons on the right side gave out. Exchanged it for another today anything is great! What an awesome piece of hardware.

Am I just reading this wrong ?

awsome how can u call the PSP awsome.
the thing is a lemon,
sony crap. they put on the market and the thing breaks.
I wont own one. the gracphis are not that great.
the games cost2 much money and it break easy lol
there are a bout a million suckers out there that paid for this pice of crap

I dont have a single dead pixel on mine. Bash it if you like, and even though you may have good reason, it is still a HUGE jump for handheld gaming.

SoulFlow said:
I had to return mine this morning. 20 minutes into playing Ridge Racer the buttons on the right side gave out. Exchanged it for another today and everything is great! What an awesome piece of hardware.

Dont get too comfortable, its actually a design flaw (buttons not directly over the pcb):

edit: same goes for the analog "stick"

source

I should have known better than to put good comments about the PSP in a flame thread. :rolleyes:

I picked mine up today and everything seems great so far. Its one awesome peice of hardware.

arentol said:
Buy from EB. Pay the extra $15 or whatever for 1 year no-questions-asked replacement.

Sucks to have to do so, but atleast you will have no worries about this.

Ooh, Ooh! Better idea:
Don't buy one at all and get something better with your money, like a DS and 3 games. Or a new 6600GT or x800xl for your PC. Or better yet, a couple broken xboxes to shoot out of a cannon.

The only reason I got a PS2 was for Megaman. And I probably will never get a PSP as I can just buy the game and wait for an emulator. Especially if the thing runs on a PowerPC, X86, or Arm processor, as all that would be necessary is reverse-engineering the firmware. :p

And the reason Nintendo is giving a one dead pixel warranty, is because they have so freakin' many of those little screens. If I understand correctly, they are the same screens used in the GBA and GBASP.

WickedAngel said:
Out of the three, the Gamecube is the only one I bought at launch. It's also the one I'm the most disappointed with.

I agree. They could have done so much more with the Gamecube if they hadn't screwed themselves over with licensing fees for the N64. No respectable Game Developer wanted anything to do with them after that. It's taken a whole console generation and a half (roughly 8 years) for them to get Konami and Capcom back, and even then, they aren't releasing their blockbusters on the GC.

tazz said:
the thing is a lemon,
'

Finally! A voice of reason amongst all the satisfied customers!

tazz said:
the thing is a lemon,

The hardware is great, the graphics are great, the games are great. Where else can you find a mobile device that has PS2 grade graphics, mp3 and video, and wireless functionality for $250 or less? Its the design thats the problem, and Sony's snobby additude towards defects. I honestly believe the PSP and the DS were HUGE jumps in mobile gaming, and if I had the spare cash I would still buy a PSP (after the first revision passes of course :))

bonkrowave said:
Well there is already a HardOCP member who had to return their PSP because 10+ dead pixels .... well manufactoured ... you tell me.

it could have been damaged in shipment for all you know.....mine is just fine - gorgeous would probably describe it best.

manicdvln said:
- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
- Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
- USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
- Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
- Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
- PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
- UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
- Bubbles on screen (defect)
- Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
- Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
- Broken Analog nub (defect)

ill give you the smear problem and the reflests too much light thing....but, how do you live with yourself?

Optimus said:
Ooh, Ooh! Better idea:
Don't buy one at all and get something better with your money, like a DS and 3 games. Or a new 6600GT or x800xl for your PC. Or better yet, a couple broken xboxes to shoot out of a cannon.

The only reason I got a PS2 was for Megaman. And I probably will never get a PSP as I can just buy the game and wait for an emulator. Especially if the thing runs on a PowerPC, X86, or Arm processor, as all that would be necessary is reverse-engineering the firmware. :p

And the reason Nintendo is giving a one dead pixel warranty, is because they have so freakin' many of those little screens. If I understand correctly, they are the same screens used in the GBA and GBASP.

I have a PSP in my hand, right now (while in sit through a boring Anthropology lecture) and I have to tell you, it rules. It doesn't have a broken pixel, it doesn't have some kind of bizzare disc read error, nothing is wrong with it. More than likely, over 90% of them will be fine. You know why everyone hears that Sony products suck? The only the people who got jacked talk about it.

I've heard less then 20 'Sony fucked me over' stories. I've heard even less 'My PS2 is broken' stories, from people who actually had problems with it. With the MILLIONS of systems out there, I have very little doubt that Sony -sucks-, as they put it. I don't agree with the 'no dead pixel return' policy, of course, I'm not defending that, but I just think by taking a couple stories that have floated around and made them into -DEATH- raining down from sony in the form of defective products is just an outright lie.

The reason I quoted Optimus is this... DS has around 3 games out for it that ANYONE would buy. The reason why the PSP is so much more alluring is that is as alot of games, can play movies/mp3's/pictures out of the box (no freaky looking adapter needed) and appeals to a different crowd. Don't tell people what to buy. If they want to buy a PSP, let them. So what if you think it'll be a bad mistake, it's not your money, so shutup.

PSP appealed to me because of the movie/mp3 thing, since I lack an iPod of any sort at the moment, and I liked most of the launch games (I got Metal Gear Acid and Ridge Racers) I can't play either of those games on the DS, so why do I want to buy it? I have Mario 64, so why do I want Mario 64 DS? I have Wario Ware, so why do I want Wario Ware touched?

carrot said:
i love hearing people complain about a unit they dont even own. mine is working great. :rolleyes:

btw, the defects mentioned above are old news and have been fixed. 0.6% of PSP's launched in Japan had defects....they were all fixed for the US launch. sick of hearing all the old news.

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/news3/new.asp?newID=61

I couldn't agree more with 'Complaining about things they don't even own' comment. I am holding mine in my hand, right now, and I love it. Not a dead pixel. No problems. I was actually SURPSRISED how QUIET the thing was, even playing games/movies.

BTW, Spiderman 2 looks freakin' amazing. Stop bitching about cool things dammit! XD

carrot said:
it could have been damaged in shipment for all you know.....mine is just fine - gorgeous would probably describe it best.

Well yours is "gorgeous" his had dead pixels ... neither view is wrong or right ... its just the truth.

Congratz to the guys who got them by the way. If you get dead pixels you really shouldn't just accept it tho. I know if I were in your shoes I would take it back.

carrot said:
i love hearing people complain about a unit they dont even own. mine is working great. :rolleyes:

btw, the defects mentioned above are old news and have been fixed. 0.6% of PSP's launched in Japan had defects....they were all fixed for the US launch. sick of hearing all the old news.

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/news3/new.asp?newID=61

No. There were two issues with the square button.

Issue #1: the square button is not placed directly over the button-push sensor. This was done by design to accommodate the screen. The square button is still responsive, and much like the "UMD ninja star," this is nothing more than an overhyped non-problem.

Issue #2: some PSPs had excess plastic molding on the square buttons, resulting in those buttons getting stuck. This is what Sony fixed--they replaced the PSPs that had this problem, and their manufacturing process was ironed out.

You're confusing two issues, though a lot of people seem to confuse the "excess plastic molding" with the "square button sensor" because the DS !!!!!!s haven't shut up about the sensor while ignoring the plastic molding.

Optimus said:
I agree. They could have done so much more with the Gamecube if they hadn't screwed themselves over with licensing fees for the N64. No respectable Game Developer wanted anything to do with them after that. It's taken a whole console generation and a half (roughly 8 years) for them to get Konami and Capcom back, and even then, they aren't releasing their blockbusters on the GC.

Capcom is actually releasing a slew of Blockbuster Big Production Value games gamecube exclusive. (Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, and some others)

As for the person who said it's easy to replace the DVD rom in their xbox...the connectors on the back are proprietary (for power i believe) It's not just a normal DVD rom. It is replaceable, but not trivial. Requires doing some modding to a normal drive to get it to work right.

arentol said:
Buy from EB. Pay the extra $15 or whatever for 1 year no-questions-asked replacement.

it is $25 .. and when asked if I wanted it .. I looked at the guys and said "Since I know Sony's track record with new systems .... Yah I guess I do want it" ... He just kind of smiled and agree'd with me on that one.

Mine has no Dead Pixels, and I am really impressed with the damn thing. Now I only wish the price of mem stick duo's wasn't so high.

in france you are protected by law. you can return any piece of hardware no questions asked for either a refund or an instant exchange :)

EDIT : within 7 business days :rolleyes:

LyCoS said:
in france you are protected by law. you can return any piece of hardware no questions asked for either a refund or an instant exchange :)

EDIT : within 7 business days :rolleyes:
In Soviet Russia, you don't return defective hardware....

...defective hardware returns YOU!

Optimus said:
Ooh, Ooh! Better idea:

The DS has three games worth playing? I haven't seen them.

Kevin Lowe said:
The DS has three games worth playing? I haven't seen them.

Its retarded comments like this that make the [H] require 30 some odd moderators. :rolleyes:

Optimus said:

Blockbusters? Resident Evil4 sucked then?! :rolleyes:

there are 2 dead ps2's im my house right now with "disk read error" One is first gen other is much newer. They seem to be the ones that break amoung my friends.

Back