Many crashes, gett more frequent.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
3,194
Hi all, I'm really getting fustrated with this, I REALLY hope I don't have to send my card off (how long is the warrenty anyway)

MY BBA 9800 pro 256 (brough from teh egg) is acting up, I play a game like a halo and the frames bleh but thats a different story, the system will crash a lot when playing that game, not sure if when i play another game because I don't play too many other games right now. This has happened with a different computer too, I have just inherited a new computer and dropped in my card in it and its still doing the same thing I'm running the cat 5.2s. What over info do you want? I have turned off recover VPU, now this use to work a bit, I'd play and the game would freeze and then sometimes it would recover, after that point it would work fine, now it either doesn't recover or the problem happens after the recover. Also since I can get back into action quickly I've been totally fustratred by the fact that when I get back into the game quickly it will do it frequently again.

Soon I'm thinking of redoing windows but the installation is pretty fresh.


HELP! What do you think it is? voltages are ok says MBM, can't see the temp on the card because its not the XT (although I believe its an XT core) everything is stock.
 
hmm..

When did you buy this card?

Have you done any OCing at all?

Have you tried any other drivers?

If youve tried those 3 and still get problems, then RMA it.
 
Ah lets see I can't remeber the exact day but I can look it up, it hasn't even been a year.

No OCing at all I'm deathly afraind of damaging this card

I'll try something else besides the 5.2s come to think of it... I can't really say that this was happending with the younger drivers that I used but my memory isn't fully initialized.
 
I would do the following:

Uninstall any drivers/utitilies you have associated with the card through Control Panel.

Unintall the card via Device Manager.

Install Driver Cleaner Pro.

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Run Driver Cleaner Pro; first remove ALL ATi related drivers.

Then run Cab Cleaner; remove all related drivers from all of your cabinet files.

Reboot back into Windows. Go to Omegacorner.com and download the latest Omega Catalyst drivers. Windows will detect your video card and ask for drivers, but just ignore it.

Install the Omega drivers. Reboot.
 
Noooo I like my cabbed drivers.

Funny you should mention this I tried that just oh say 2 hrs ago. Its running fine now. I'll HEAVELY test it this wekend. Turns out I wasn't runnign 5.2 like I thought I should, infact I didn't even have them (thought I did) I was running 4.12 (what the hell) an it must have been a bad installation anyway.

I see that my cpu gets kinda hot (57 C) I'll check the filters and turn the fans to OMG I CAN'T HEAR THE GAME when I play games.


Thanks for the suggestions.
 
Darn it I thought it was gone but it came back today, I don't think any game but halo (even the demo) does it. they system will just loose video and it will not respond. I notice it usually happens when the proc ist at 50 and above in this computer.

Do you think it could be some settings I might have wrong or something? CRAP I don't want to RMA this thing.

Anything at all, I'm not new but throw ideas at me before I start to send yet another peice off.

Oh its also usually during a stupid non demanding part of the game... sort of. Its when I say swing around fast, or get and a vehicle and drive, its when I approach mid feild mostly on the mon DM map on the demo, bloodgulch. I guess I'll run the max payne demo and see if that does it, also doom 3 but CRAP this sucks!


oh happy Valentines Day.
 
Hey guys just checking in again. I think I may have found out what it is, its not the video card per se but it is the card. The case seems like the airflow isn't that good, whe the proc gets upto 56 C when i'm playing the system cannot refresh its self and hot air builds up. Although i cannot read the temps on the card we all know that the 9800 plus as some ratty cooling and its a R350 core. I ran with the side panel off and my temps got to 52 C at the most I could have been getting much higher than 56 C more like 62 C with that much heat comming out with no were to go that bad HSF on there was just not doing its job and it klunked out on me. I'll look into imporving the case and I'll continue to use it while running MBM and logging the info. I ran for about 2 hrs with intense play after that and I ran ati tool (just the scanning and 3d part no OC for me) for a few minues, not to really test it but to see if I would get any problems and when i noticed that the cpu was lowering its self in temp I knew that ATI tool wouldn't show the problem with the system only problems with the card.
 
Crap they didn't go away with the heat, I will call ATI tomorrow I really don't want to be without my card (I love it soo much LOL)

I've got some news with this post too, and some questions
Whats a bad temp for a 9800pro with an XT core (all stock BTW)
Mine are getting near 90 sometimes.

News
(BAD and for me)Heat doesn't seem to the the only cause. It was crashing when the temp was around 78, all system rails are fine. Not sure if its limited to Halo demo, I'll try Max Payne 2 demo and see. I don't remeber this happeneing during the single player mode, I wonder if there is some hack that can cause systems to crah (people don't like me, I aim well)

Good news: this is a question i wanted to know the answer to. Ati tool, I only use it to check my card and now this, can read the temprature of a non moded 9800pro with XT core it is currently working on mine with no problems. I am running the latest stock drivers (5.12 is it) stock everything else.

If I have to send this card off and I get another with an XT core I will report on this.
 
OK so by now everyone must think I'm an idiot :)

Think I've found the problem, I've always thought something was weird about this issue, I wasn't sure it was the video but it seemed to be during intense times and it did happen over two systems. SO what do I think it is now? Sound, yes the sound, The game was set to no accleration and if the game had some problem with the sound subsystem and then it locked booth the video and then the CPU it would appear to be the video. well I set it to accleration, I know ususally with sound problems you turn down accleration. It seems completely stable now, I've gamed for about 2 hours, temps seem fine no freezes or system lockups No other game had problems.
 
Back
Top