Manufacturers thermal paste application.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
So I took my PS4 pro apart today cause it was getting really loud and hot recently. Not that it was quite to begin with since I got it. When I took the heat sink off there was barely any thermal paste on the die. All the past was splatter around the socket instead. I cleaned it up and applied some thermal grizzly kryonaut and holy shit the difference it mad. It runs whisper quit now. So why is it so common that companies not just Sony still seems to have a issue apply thermal compound? Shouldn't it be perfectly done everytime since it is done by a machine typically. So many problems would be solved by just applying paste properly? Just so annoying companies think it is ok for a customer to suffer a jet engine coming out of their entertainment centers. I shouldn't have to spend a hour risking breaking my PS4 to fix their shitty paste job.

Its called pump out skip to around 8:30

Yes I seen that video. From what I understand they use which seem like crap compound is cause it takes longer to "pump out". My PS4 pro was a little more then a year old and has been loud from the start.

Let me put this into perspective:

Sony puts about as much Attention to detail in their heatsink installation as you put into your mastery of the English Language.

It's almost MORE painful to read your train-weck post than to think about how shitty a job most OEMs do on heatsink installation. I'm just providing you insight into WHY OEMs don't feel all that interested about getting things like this perfect, like you don't care about getting your use of grammar *anywhere* near perfect.

Much like there is a cleanup kit to reapply their bodged thermal past, you do have the Edit button available to you :D

Last edited:
I may be new, but that's a little harsh Default. He's not writing that bad, chill a bit.

These are all mass produced machines. Stuff happens on the assembly line, and QC likely is only checking that the machines boot and don't immediately fail a stress test. If the paste application is "good enough" to not immediately lead to a thermal failure, they'll ship it. Reapplying paste on ANY consumer electronic with a heatsink is a good idea nowadays, whether it's a laptop, desktop or console.

Back