Manual DHCP IP Selection?

Inu

[H]ard|Gawd
DHCP randomly gives me an IP i wont to forward ports to a certain computer but whenever computer is restarted its given a different IP thats annoying! Is there a way to set a static IP of sorts but still within the DHCP values? Have BEFSR41 router, NAT is enabled.

I don't believe there is with Linksys, but some routers have DHCP reservations.
Otherwise, just set yourself a static IP (outside the range of assigned DHCP addys)

what you need is called a "Reservation" I'm not sure if that Linksys allows for it though.

if not you could just manually assign it a static outside of the DHCP address range.

what they said ^

your computer will still work with a static IP as long as it has the same subnet mask and the first set of digit's are the same

say your DHCP gives out 192.168.0.2 all the way to .100 and your subnet is 255.255.255.0, then if you set your static IP to .101 and set it's subnet to 255.255.255.0 it will work fine.

QJ

On a couple of routers that I have used, you can set the IP of the computer by its MAC address. Then you can just leave the port open of that IP you set. Can this router do that??

on that router (i have the same, just the 8 port model), you dont even have to be outside the dhcp range. when dhcp runs to giv e a new computer an address, it will see there is traffic over say 192.168.1.2 and wont hand it out.

on my setup, i just set the DHCP pool at 192.168.1.10-.20, and then used .2-.9 for my static servers

Back