Mandrake isos in 5mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Snugglebear
Yes, I'm sure we're all in awe with the size of your dick.

:D sorry, i was just so excited to get it that fast that i had to share it somewhere that it might be appreciated. Not sure of the line here at University of Michigan, but i do know that its some form of fiber.... I guess i could ask one of the admins some time.

Suse64 took me an hour though for the entire ftp dir. ~6GB (Go figure)

I'm going to venture some guesses:

1) UMich probably mirrors isos
2) It's winter term, therefore less students
3) You happened to be on a 100mbit lan. The ~2gb you downloaded IF you actually got them in 5 mins had an average transfer rate of almost 7MB/s which is not unheard of on 100mbit lan ... however traffic and other load is another story altogether.
4) Go with with Gentoo or Slackware. You could get those in 1/3 the time ;)

Originally posted by ZeroX
I'm going to venture some guesses:

1) UMich probably mirrors isos
2) It's winter term, therefore less students
3) You happened to be on a 100mbit lan. The ~2gb you downloaded IF you actually got them in 5 mins had an average transfer rate of almost 7MB/s which is not unheard of on 100mbit lan ... however traffic and other load is another story altogether.
4) Go with with Gentoo or Slackware. You could get those in 1/3 the time ;)

Im just figuring about 5 mins, I started them, went for a cigarette, came back, DONE! I got them from a mirror in Indiana, and the computer lab was about half full. But most of the people in here are doing things like checking email, etc.. It is possible that part of it was already temp stored in like a proxy somewhere from another student earlier that already got them... But if it did go that fast, not bad at all.., I just want this at home. Uuungh!

Chances are, there is a proxy somewhere local network that had these cached.

That's nice, but it doesn't warrant a thread in OS. No off-topic posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back