Managed vs. Unmanaged

BigGreg85

Gawd
I need to buy a small switch(5/8 ports)....what is the difference between managed and unmanaged....and what switch would you recommend....

i was thinking about the 5 port auto sensing switch, but then I thought I might as well just get a 10/100/1000 switch....what would you recommend?

Thank YOu

I was also wondering about managed switches that are like 5 or 8 ports. I have two 3com superstack 3300's but i need a 8 port switch like those 3com one's

Donald :)

Managed just means it has some extra configurable capabilities. Depending on what kind of switch and who made it will determine that.

If you don't know what a managed one is you don't need it, and even if you did you probably still don't need it for the size your looking at.

^ What he said.

Although, managed 8-port HP ProCurve switches are pretty cool, and rather cheap on eBay.

With a managed switch you can remotely connect and enable/disable ports and stuff like that. It's great in a large environment because it means you don't have to drive somewhere and physically yank a plug in order to pull someone off of the network. Some managed switches also allow you to set up VLANs, limit access to ports to specific MAC addresses, etc.

Managed = wasted money for a lot of people.........You hear that nybbbles? you job doesn't need a cisco managed switch when they are running on a 10mb hub right now =P. Get a Hp procurve unmanaged and save a few $K.

ok so i was looking at the Linksys 5 port Gigabit switch for like $105....what do you guys think about that one....

or do you recommend something else?

Thank You

Originally posted by oakfan52
Managed = wasted money for a lot of people.........You hear that nybbbles? you job doesn't need a cisco managed switch when they are running on a 10mb hub right now =P. Get a Hp procurve unmanaged and save a few $K.

STFU Oakfan. :D

For your info, I talked to the big boss about that today and he told me to challenge the quote for that project anyway. Not like it's really relevant to this thread anyway.

(P.S. - I know Oak in person and it's all in good fun. Just couldnt let myself get trashed publicly without a reply. :D )

Originally posted by BigGreg85
ok so i was looking at the Linksys 5 port Gigabit switch for like $105....what do you guys think about that one....

Thank You
Should be ok, but I bet if you looked around newegg, you can find a 5-port gigabit switch for cheaper.

yea i know i could, but I have had a lot of good experiences with my present linksys stuff.

Originally posted by BigGreg85

Thank You

I used two 8 port Gigabit switches from Netgear there great. Rock Solid. We transfered about 30 TB of data across each of them over the course of 3 weeks and they didn't go down once or need a restart. I couldn't belive it.

link: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311485&pfp=SEARCH

They also sell a 5 port model for $99 bucks.

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
3TB -- that's a nice chunk of data. :)

It was about 30TB through each switch for a grand total of 60TB. It was a lot of data. That's why I was so shocked that the Netgears moved it all with out one problem.

We had to upload all that data to a SAN for backup. It's by far the most data I have ever moved.

Back